or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Pork Shoulder "picnic cut"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pork Shoulder "picnic cut"

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

The local Meijer had these on sale for $.99/lb. last week, so I bought a 9 lb hunk. Do I pretty much follow the same method as I would doing a "pork butt"? I'm looking to make a batch of delicious smokey pulled pork. Should I trim the fat layer off or leave all of it on top and put my rub on the fat as well? Any help is greatly appreciated!

post #2 of 10

I cut the skin off though. its a nice cheap way to do a good pulled pork.

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 

Thanks, Big Train!

post #4 of 10

If it is skin on, remove the skin and some of the fat. Rub the whole thing with your rub and smoke away!

post #5 of 10
dont throw that skin away tho!! lol.
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 

How do you prepare the skin? I love me some pork 'kracklins, but I haven't the foggiest idea where I'd start to make them!

:grilling_smilie:

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
 

How do you prepare the skin? I love me some pork 'kracklins, but I haven't the foggiest idea where I'd start to make them!

:grilling_smilie:

You need to scrape as much fat off the skin that you can. Cut into strips or whatever shape you prefer and deep fry is the best way. You could smoke for a bit then fry. 

post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post
 

You need to scrape as much fat off the skin that you can. Cut into strips or whatever shape you prefer and deep fry is the best way. You could smoke for a bit then fry.

 

Thanks for the tips! Yet another thing for me to try!

post #9 of 10
yeh fry it til that skin gets nice and bubbly and crispy...lemon, salt and chili...and a cold beer....mmmmmmmm.MMMmmmMMMMmmMMMM.....lmao :)
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnandBurn View Post

yeh fry it til that skin gets nice and bubbly and crispy...lemon, salt and chili...and a cold beer....mmmmmmmm.MMMmmmMMMMmmMMMM.....lmao :)

 

Now you're talkin'! haha!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Pork Shoulder "picnic cut"