- 44 Posts. Joined 9/2013
- Location: Bartow Florida
- Points: 13
- Select All Posts By This User
- product32 oz Wizzy's Smokin BBQ rub - Best rub for Pork & Chickentagged by Mike65, 9/29/13
- productBrinkmann Smoke'n Pit Pitmastertagged by Mike65, 9/29/13
- productBrinkman Smoke'N Pit Smoke King Deluxe Heavy-Duty Charcoal/Wood Smoker & Grill #805-2500-1tagged by Mike65, 9/29/13
- topicPork Pulled Porktagged by Mike65, 9/29/13
- topicPulled Porktagged by Mike65, 9/29/13
Related Forum Threads
- Maiden sparib voyage Last post on 2/21/16 at 11:32am in General Discussion
- My first attempt at Pork Butt, or any pork for that matter w/lots of pics Last post on 10/25/13 at 1:31pm in Pork
- My first pork shoulder! (Picnic cut) Last post on 10/14/13 at 12:24pm in Pork
- First smoke!!!! Butt in Last post on 9/30/13 at 6:32am in Pork
- ULTIMATE PORK BBQ Last post on 9/26/13 at 4:13pm in Pork
Hawg Heaven Rub
Last edited: 9/28/11
- Here Piggy Piggy BrineLast edited: 6/11/12
- Tutorial Sealing Mated Steam Pans With FoilLast edited: 5/1/11
- Blueberry-Cherry Dry Rub for PorkLast edited: 10/5/13
I was able to make half a burger before the press portion of the burger maker broke. Had to finish the burgers using the machine and my hands, pushing manually. Push down handle and clip broke...
I really enjoyed this smoker - It is being retired for a Old Country Pecos
The family got this for me for a birthday gift ( I chose it, they paid for it). I did not get the WIFI version. Got it home, assembled it (easy) and fired it up. The temp would not stabilize, it...
Bought my T. JR 5 years ago at a Costco roadshow. It made for an affordable start in the smoking and pellet cooker space. Easy setup, but on burn-in the controller and fan burned out. ...
Loving the extra room on the LUX. (Bought as Cabela's Magnum) Smoked 3 turkeys (at once) for thanksgiving and for SuperBowl did a 14lb brisket and 8 chicken quarters at the same time. I...
Fire died while smoking a butt!post #1 of 189/29/13 at 2:26amThread StarterOk so I went to bed at 1 am and smoker was holding at 271 nice and stable. Woke up at 5 am and smoker had went down to 150. I checked internal meat temp and center was 140 on the nose. Quickly resolved the problem and smoker back up to 230 within 30 minutes. So my ? Is this butt should be l right? Looking at it from a safety stand point. I am thinking there is a cat or something like a raccoon causing this problem. My top damper was shut. The last time I did this temp shot up to 300 I caught it just in time and my vent was opened up a lot more then when I left it. So something is playing games cause I have done this many times before with same smoker and no issues and setting on vents are changed both times when I get up to check. Anyway temp in center was at 140 I am thinking temp could not have been low on smoker that long and this butt should fine. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 189/29/13 at 3:41am
For personal consumption the butt should still be perfectly safe to eat though I would not leave it hanging around too long - not that it probabbly would be.post #3 of 189/29/13 at 4:36ampost #4 of 189/29/13 at 5:03amThread Starterpost #5 of 189/29/13 at 5:32ampost #6 of 189/29/13 at 6:00am
I like the trail cam idea. Then you will know for sure.
I doubt it's critters closing vents. They would be more apt to open them if they smelled meat (trying to reach in), but due to the heat and smoke I really doubt they are trying to "reach in" as all they would smell is smoke. My money is on the two legged critters.post #7 of 189/29/13 at 6:09amThread StarterYeah I am thinking teenagers maybe trail cam is a good idea. At least I saved my Q and slapped on some thick sliced cherry wood bacon with John Henry texas pecan rub sprinkled on fer breakfast this stuff is like candy when donepost #8 of 189/29/13 at 8:39ampost #9 of 189/29/13 at 8:53ampost #10 of 189/29/13 at 9:27ampost #11 of 189/29/13 at 9:33amThread StarterLol don't think I am sleep walking and been smoking for a long time so I think ( hope ) the wife is not telling me something lol! Not really sure a few kids that have been known to Rome around late at night so maybe I don't know I know it has happened twice once vent got opened all the way and temp shot up and now vent got shut and temp went down I did catch it both times with no damage done but if I was not paying pretty good attention it would have been disaster oh well what I have right now is a killer done product taking a nap in the cooler and nobody has access but me and I'm wide awake lol! I still wonder about this cat around here as well he has been on top of this smoker before when it wasn't running and this thing is cool to the touch on the outside its insulated very well anywho I may never know I think I may have my wife lock up the car keys just invade I have been wondering out to the smoker for a late night snack!post #12 of 189/29/13 at 12:00pmpost #13 of 189/29/13 at 7:55pm
put a dusting of flour on the top of your smoker. if it is an animal you will see paw prints. If it is human they may see the flour but you will still know someone fooled w/ the vent.post #14 of 189/30/13 at 9:31ampost #15 of 189/30/13 at 12:03pmI smoked a 20 lb ham cut in half yesterday during the day. I had two dogs that I had never seen prior come into my yard and walk near my smoker. Guess it must have smelled good. I am betting you have a coon problem and they are moving the vent to try to get to the meat (or the smell). But that's only my guess.post #16 of 189/30/13 at 1:56pmpost #17 of 189/30/13 at 7:06pmThread Starterpost #18 of 189/30/13 at 10:38pm
I am surprised that in this big a group the most obvious answer did not come up.
Of course they would be here looking for the best of everything on earth and obviously a chunk of smoked pork is near the top of that list.
- Fire died while smoking a butt!
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Here Piggy Piggy Brine
- › Beef ribs, AKA "Dino bones" in the smoker 39 seconds ago
- › Breakfast Sausage 2 minutes ago
- › My first Crack at breakfast sausage 10 minutes ago
- › Debating a UDS build. Advice needed! 12 minutes ago
- › Shirley Fab 24x42 Cabinet Smoker 20 minutes ago
- › Problem with getting wood to smolder 31 minutes ago
- › Brisket round 2 32 minutes ago
- › I call it the 20/20 Charcoal basket... 34 minutes ago
- › 300lbs in a day 38 minutes ago
- › First Smoke 41 minutes ago
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations