- 44 Posts. Joined 9/2013
- Location: Bartow Florida
- Points: 13
- Select All Posts By This User
- product32 oz Wizzy's Smokin BBQ rub - Best rub for Pork & Chickentagged by Mike65, 9/29/13
- productBrinkmann Smoke'n Pit Pitmastertagged by Mike65, 9/29/13
- productBrinkman Smoke'N Pit Smoke King Deluxe Heavy-Duty Charcoal/Wood Smoker & Grill #805-2500-1tagged by Mike65, 9/29/13
- topicPork Pulled Porktagged by Mike65, 9/29/13
- topicPulled Porktagged by Mike65, 9/29/13
Related Forum Threads
- Maiden sparib voyage Last post on 2/21/16 at 11:32am in General Discussion
- My first attempt at Pork Butt, or any pork for that matter w/lots of pics Last post on 10/25/13 at 1:31pm in Pork
- My first pork shoulder! (Picnic cut) Last post on 6/18/17 at 3:48am in Pork
- First smoke!!!! Butt in Last post on 9/30/13 at 6:32am in Pork
- ULTIMATE PORK BBQ Last post on 9/26/13 at 4:13pm in Pork
Hawg Heaven Rub
Last edited: 9/28/11
- Here Piggy Piggy BrineLast edited: 6/11/12
- Tutorial Sealing Mated Steam Pans With FoilLast edited: 5/1/11
- Blueberry-Cherry Dry Rub for PorkLast edited: 10/5/13
I've been very impressed with this smoker.The slow smoker attachment is actually a cold smoking device.Made smoked cheese,scallops and found the flavor to be just right.
Wish I had read this site before purchasing my Traeger grill from Home Depot. Luckily I was within the 90 days for returns. Like other posts - the pellets would not feed into the hopper - I...
I've owned two smokers. This one does a GREAT JOB for a lower end priced electric smoker. I've created some amazing smoked food in this smoker. I would recommend getting this smoker if you want to...
I've had my SH smoker for about 2.5 years... took a while to get the draft set exactly where I wanted it, but once that was right it's been a dream to use. Under most conditions, and for most of...
Fire died while smoking a butt!post #1 of 189/29/13 at 2:26amThread StarterOk so I went to bed at 1 am and smoker was holding at 271 nice and stable. Woke up at 5 am and smoker had went down to 150. I checked internal meat temp and center was 140 on the nose. Quickly resolved the problem and smoker back up to 230 within 30 minutes. So my ? Is this butt should be l right? Looking at it from a safety stand point. I am thinking there is a cat or something like a raccoon causing this problem. My top damper was shut. The last time I did this temp shot up to 300 I caught it just in time and my vent was opened up a lot more then when I left it. So something is playing games cause I have done this many times before with same smoker and no issues and setting on vents are changed both times when I get up to check. Anyway temp in center was at 140 I am thinking temp could not have been low on smoker that long and this butt should fine. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 189/29/13 at 3:41am
For personal consumption the butt should still be perfectly safe to eat though I would not leave it hanging around too long - not that it probabbly would be.post #3 of 189/29/13 at 4:36ampost #4 of 189/29/13 at 5:03amThread Starterpost #5 of 189/29/13 at 5:32ampost #6 of 189/29/13 at 6:00am
I like the trail cam idea. Then you will know for sure.
I doubt it's critters closing vents. They would be more apt to open them if they smelled meat (trying to reach in), but due to the heat and smoke I really doubt they are trying to "reach in" as all they would smell is smoke. My money is on the two legged critters.post #7 of 189/29/13 at 6:09amThread StarterYeah I am thinking teenagers maybe trail cam is a good idea. At least I saved my Q and slapped on some thick sliced cherry wood bacon with John Henry texas pecan rub sprinkled on fer breakfast this stuff is like candy when donepost #8 of 189/29/13 at 8:39ampost #9 of 189/29/13 at 8:53ampost #10 of 189/29/13 at 9:27ampost #11 of 189/29/13 at 9:33amThread StarterLol don't think I am sleep walking and been smoking for a long time so I think ( hope ) the wife is not telling me something lol! Not really sure a few kids that have been known to Rome around late at night so maybe I don't know I know it has happened twice once vent got opened all the way and temp shot up and now vent got shut and temp went down I did catch it both times with no damage done but if I was not paying pretty good attention it would have been disaster oh well what I have right now is a killer done product taking a nap in the cooler and nobody has access but me and I'm wide awake lol! I still wonder about this cat around here as well he has been on top of this smoker before when it wasn't running and this thing is cool to the touch on the outside its insulated very well anywho I may never know I think I may have my wife lock up the car keys just invade I have been wondering out to the smoker for a late night snack!post #12 of 189/29/13 at 12:00pmpost #13 of 189/29/13 at 7:55pm
put a dusting of flour on the top of your smoker. if it is an animal you will see paw prints. If it is human they may see the flour but you will still know someone fooled w/ the vent.post #14 of 189/30/13 at 9:31ampost #15 of 189/30/13 at 12:03pmI smoked a 20 lb ham cut in half yesterday during the day. I had two dogs that I had never seen prior come into my yard and walk near my smoker. Guess it must have smelled good. I am betting you have a coon problem and they are moving the vent to try to get to the meat (or the smell). But that's only my guess.post #16 of 189/30/13 at 1:56pmpost #17 of 189/30/13 at 7:06pmThread Starterpost #18 of 189/30/13 at 10:38pm
I am surprised that in this big a group the most obvious answer did not come up.
Of course they would be here looking for the best of everything on earth and obviously a chunk of smoked pork is near the top of that list.
- Fire died while smoking a butt!
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Here Piggy Piggy Brine
- › New from South Carolina 29 seconds ago
- › What's your favorite home cooked meal?? 3 minutes ago
- › Beef Ribs 5 minutes ago
- › New guy, from England 5 minutes ago
- › First timer 12 minutes ago
- › Next up.. breakfast fatty 15 minutes ago
- › One dead, 46 sick in Salmonella outbreak traced to papayas 29 minutes ago
- › Pork spare ribs on the wsm 33 minutes ago
- › Pizza Fattie 37 minutes ago
- › Pork belly in michigan 43 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by ronaldjallen1
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Outdoor Leisure 34168G Smoke Hollow Propane-Gas Smoker by raider2119
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Jeff Houser
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Smokingmax
- › Weber Summit S-670 by Grillin Joey
- › Old Country Brasos by SomeTexasSmoker
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by PaulJ
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ