Pulled out a small bone-in Butt and rubbed my own, home-made dry rub on this at 8am, pulled it off at 6:30! Wow, just cannot get any better.
I've smoked so many butts over the last couple of years and have always had great success with this method:
- Rinse and pat dry.
- Keep the fat pad up, slice into the pad about 1" square, don't worry about pretty, the bark will be covering :)
- Coat liberally with yellow mustard - this acts as a binder for the rub and adds a little flavor.
- Rub - the love - on the outside that feels good on the inside! I make my own and contrary to popular opinion it has brown sugar in it, about 1/3 brown sugar to 2/3 pretty good spices and seasonings. (I never inject)
- While I normally will prep a day ahead and let the meat sit overnight to soak in the rub, this time I did not, it went straight into a pre-heated smoker set at 220 degrees. I plugged in an instant read digital and let it smoke.
- Again, contrary to popular opinion I did not spritz - why wet the bark? The smoke is sealing the meat and if it is cooked low enough there is no drying out. But when the temp gets in the 190-200 range it is ready for pulling.
- Grab the tongs, quarter turn of the bone and it pulls out clean.
This weekend it will be ribs!