I've spent the last 2 hours searching brine recipes and am totally overwhelmed by all the different flavor profiles you folks use. This place needs a recipe box.
I feel I need to brine the lean cuts of pork. My problem is the wife only wants Cavendars Greek seasoning on her pork...non negotiable. So I'm going to deconstruct pork brine and have a few questions.
1. Is 1 cup salt & 1 cup sugar to 1 gallon of water the correct ratio for basic brine?
2. If I substitute soy sauce or honey for salt and sugar, is it equal parts substitution?
3. Besides those two ingredients, what are some other substitutes? (I'm allergic to apples)
4. When brining small cuts such as thick cut chops is 4-6 hours enough or too much time to brine?
5. How long would I brine a large pork loin?