or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Chicken Thighs (MES 40 Smoked)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chicken Thighs (MES 40 Smoked) - Page 4

post #61 of 73

Bear, is there a reason you don't put the chicken right on the grate?  I'm trying this for the first time this weekend and I have the same smoker and amnps as you.  First time doing it, so any tips would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks!  Brad

post #62 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Iron View Post
 

Bear, is there a reason you don't put the chicken right on the grate?  I'm trying this for the first time this weekend and I have the same smoker and amnps as you.  First time doing it, so any tips would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks!  Brad

 

Hi Brad,

The reason is that Chicken Thighs are quite Fatty & drip a lot of fat in my smoker.

I could put the pans on the next rack, below the chicken, but that would still make another rack for Mrs Bear to clean, so since the wire cooling racks I use in the pans allow the smoke to get all around the chicken, this is my favorite way to do these thighs, and some other meats.

 

If you'd rather do it right on the grate, you can use my other Chicken Thighs Step by Step Below:

 

 

On the Grate:
 
 
In Pans:
 
However you do it, if you use pans anywhere, make sure they don't cover too much of one rack, and block the air flow.
 

 

Bear

post #63 of 73
Been a while since I've been on here.I got some legs & thighs for 35¢ a lb!! Never smoked thighs or legs. Need to know a brine recipe and a rub. What is evo? Thanks
post #64 of 73

Buffalo brine:

 

8 oz Franks 

2 cup white vinegar

2 cup water 

1/2 cup white sugar

1/4 cup sea salt

 

Soak for 6-7 hours minimum

post #65 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocswx View Post

Been a while since I've been on here.I got some legs & thighs for 35¢ a lb!! Never smoked thighs or legs. Need to know a brine recipe and a rub. What is evo? Thanks


I brined Thighs, but found out since it's not needed. Breasts are the only chicken that needs brining. Thighs & Drums have more than enough moisture in them without brining.

 

A good rub will give you all the flavor you want, and then finish it with your favorite sauce.

 

EVO or EVOO stands for Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

 

 

Bear

post #66 of 73
Lol. Ok. Guess I should have picked up on the evo. Thanks a lot. So I'm doing some today. Can't wait. I've been neglecting my smoker. Anxious to get it stoked up again. I'll post pics.
post #67 of 73
Just did some leg quarters in my mes30. Either they cook faster than just the thighs or my smoker cooks a little hotter. Only took 2 hrs to get them up to temp. Actually they were at 170°. I put them in foil & covered in a towel in a cooler for now. Not eating them for an hr or so. I only let them soak up the rub for a couple hours. Will let them soak in the rub overnight next time. They look and smell good. I'll post pics later. Taking them to my brother's for dinner
post #68 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocswx View Post

Just did some leg quarters in my mes30. Either they cook faster than just the thighs or my smoker cooks a little hotter. Only took 2 hrs to get them up to temp. Actually they were at 170°. I put them in foil & covered in a towel in a cooler for now. Not eating them for an hr or so. I only let them soak up the rub for a couple hours. Will let them soak in the rub overnight next time. They look and smell good. I'll post pics later. Taking them to my brother's for dinner


Yours might have been a little fast, but the biggest difference was the problem I had with the pans.

I explained it in the first post on this thread. Mine took longer than it should have.

 

Here's another one without the problem:

 
 
Bear
post #69 of 73

Buffalo brine!

I will have to give that a try.

post #70 of 73

BearCarver, what kind of rub are you using if you don't mind me asking? I looked thru the 2 posts that you have about smoking chicken and maybe I missed it but I could not find what rub you used.

 

Since I am new to smoking more than jerky, I am kind of lost when it comes to rubs and brines.

 

Thanks

post #71 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleNut View Post
 

BearCarver, what kind of rub are you using if you don't mind me asking? I looked thru the 2 posts that you have about smoking chicken and maybe I missed it but I could not find what rub you used.

 

Since I am new to smoking more than jerky, I am kind of lost when it comes to rubs and brines.

 

Thanks


I use various Rubs:

Some that I shouldn't mention on this forum.

Some from friends of mine or friends of my Son's.

Also some of McCormicks-----I like most of theirs.

 

I'm not real picky about Rubs----Most well known Rubs work fine for me.

The only well known Rub we hate at the Bear Den is Montreal Steak Rub. We find it tastes like Salty Chipboard.

 

Bear

post #72 of 73

You notice Bear always forgets to invite us for dinner?

post #73 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgeslime View Post
 

You notice Bear always forgets to invite us for dinner?


LOL---Thanks!!

 

I wish I could invite you all, but I don't Party too good, like I used to. PDT_Armataz_01_16.gif

 

 

Bear

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Poultry
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Chicken Thighs (MES 40 Smoked)