1) Boston butts are amazingly forgiving...which in my case is very important.
2) It takes approximately 90-120 mins per lb to cook.
3) You need to get it to 140 in 4 hours
4) for pulled you need to get it to 205.
5) don't inject
I have just a few questions:
1) I've heard that the meat stops taking the smoke after a certain point....now for an approximate 8lb butt @ 1.5hr per lb would take approximate 12hrs plus 1hr for resting...could I take it off at the 6hr mark and stick in the oven for the remainder? What temp?
2) I purchased a wireless thermometer from wally world, when should I insert this into the butt? Where would be the best location on the meat for it to be?
3) if I plan on eating about 6:30-7, would starting @ 4am be a safe bet ?