Combo inspiration from SmokinUTs 4th of July fatties and bobank03's admonishment in the thread, I had to try a fatty. Did a basic pizza fatty -
1 lb each of burger and pork breakfast sausage - added pinches of sage, onion, celery and garlic powder, and some of my hot chili dust. Marinara, mozz, and diced pepperoni toppings.
My first bacon weave - which should be noted doesn't have to be totally tight before wrapping (but the tighter the better). Someone asked in another thread about weaving, and I had to think about it for a bit before doing it today, so here's a quick tutorial (veteran weavers can skip): I'm a math guy - X axis is horizontal, Y axis is vertical. I'm starting with what were the X and Y axis of every graph you saw in school (X on the bottom, Y on the left).
1. Lay down the bottom X and then leftmost Y pieces.
2. Pull back X so you can lay the next Y piece. Lay back down and repeat adding Y's over and under the X until you have all of your Y (vertical) pieces weaved in with the bottom X
3. Pull back every other Y so you can lay down the 2nd X.
4. After adding the next X, bring those forward and pull back the other Ys so you can lay down the next X
5. Lather, rinse, repeat until done.
-- If your bacon isn't symmetrical like mine wasn't (much fatter on one end than the other) be sure to rotate each piece so that the fat balances the skinny ends.
The fatty, wrapped up and ready for a night in the fridge before smoking. Notice how much tighter the weave got. I don't know why this is, but it is :)
Finished product after 2 hours 15 minutes in the smoker at 250 degrees, and then 4 minutes under the broiler at 500 degrees. I smoked it in a throw-away tinfoil pan and lost some cheese and ended up with quite a bit of oil/fat/grease from the bacon, not shown. Next one I'll probably poke holes in the pan and have a catcher pan one shelf beneath. It all worked out well tho.
On the plate with some garlic cheese bread that my bride made, and extra marinara slathered on both. Effin delicious!!
Edited by TerryMN - 7/17/13 at 7:59pm