or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › First time Pork Shoulder with Q-view
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First time Pork Shoulder with Q-view

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Well I brined a pork loin and shoulder overnight, dried with paper towels, rubbed them down, and smoking them now. The loins were pulled at 3 hours and an IT of 145. The shoulder is at the 4 hour mark and is at an IT of 136. Should I be worried about the 40 to 140 in 4 rule? I have a Masterbuilt Gas Smokehouse and the temp has been around 225 (210-245). My thermometer was placed in the loin after 1 hour and then pulled and put in the shoulder when they were done. I have the Maverick ET-732.
post #2 of 22
Thread Starter 

Loins are pulled after 3 hours and an IT of 145. Smoked with apple and hickory at +/- 225

About an 8 lb shoulder

400

400

My zucchini plant that is MASSIVE! This has nothing to do with pork but had to share. The bottom box is 4'x4' with a 6' fence

 

Had to fire up the laptop but finally got the view. Drooling is acceptable 32.gif

post #3 of 22

off to a good start. id say you should be fine in that time frame. but i dont necessarily follow strict guidelines..lol. did u put the probe in after 1hr or 4 hours?

post #4 of 22

Looking great so far!

 

Kat

post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 

I put the probe in the loin after 1 hour in the smoker. I've read not to insert the probe right away to help stop the bacteria from getting in. I then put the probe in the shoulder after the loins were done. The shoulder was in the smoker for 3 hours before the probe was inserted.

post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 

Money Shot on the LOIN

The money shot

The money shot

post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 

My plan for the shoulder is to wrap in foil at an IT of 165 and place back in the smoker until it reaches 205. This will be followed by a 2 hour spa treatment in the cooler and then pulled. I plan on serving this next Saturday on my families camping trip. Any ideas on how to store the pork and reheat? The campsite has a propane grill and fire ring.

post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohlrich View Post

Money Shot on the LOIN

The money shot

The money shot

drool.gif<---------------what he said.! lol.. looks amazing. 

post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohlrich View Post

My plan for the shoulder is to wrap in foil at an IT of 165 and place back in the smoker until it reaches 205. This will be followed by a 2 hour spa treatment in the cooler and then pulled. I plan on serving this next Saturday on my families camping trip. Any ideas on how to store the pork and reheat? The campsite has a propane grill and fire ring.

why do u wanna foil? lol. dont cheat yourself. haha. i normally just store mine after pulling, if i know im gunna use it in a few days in a ziploc bag with about a cup of some liquid(juice/soda..etc) in there..and then let it chill out in the reefer until im ready for it. 

post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thanks TurnandBurn! Planned to foil to keep the moisture and speed up the time. I'm in Ohio and sitting by a 250 degree smoker and mid 80's sunny day will cost me a lot of beer.

Shoulder is at 5.5 hours and IT of 151. The temp rise is slowing and I feel the presence of a meat standoff
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohlrich View Post

Thanks TurnandBurn! Planned to foil to keep the moisture and speed up the time. I'm in Ohio and sitting by a 250 degree smoker and mid 80's sunny day will cost me a lot of beer.

Shoulder is at 5.5 hours and IT of 151. The temp rise is slowing and I feel the presence of a meat standoff

oh trust me bud, that thing has enough fat in it to keep it moist. id just spritz the outside here and there but thats really just a preference thing also. as for the standoff...wait for it..here it comes.  oh yeh and at least your in the mid 80's...lol. 

post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnandBurn View Post

oh trust me bud, that thing has enough fat in it to keep it moist. id just spritz the outside here and there but thats really just a preference thing also. as for the standoff...wait for it..here it comes.  oh yeh and at least your in the mid 80's...lol. 

Lol. I'm using my water pan with a mixture of water, apple cider vinegar, and Worcestershire. Do I still need to spritz? This boy isn't made for to much heat and humidity!

First time posting while smoking and the response time of others makes me love this site more. I normally just stalk other people's posts and take notes.
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 

STALL!!! hockeyeurbaston.gif

post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohlrich View Post


Lol. I'm using my water pan with a mixture of water, apple cider vinegar, and Worcestershire. Do I still need to spritz? This boy isn't made for to much heat and humidity!

First time posting while smoking and the response time of others makes me love this site more. I normally just stalk other people's posts and take notes.

you should be fine then...as for the response time..lol. theres always someone online..even if i step away from pc im on my mobile. constantly..unless the phones charging and i dont feel like running an extension cord out to the smoker..ROTF.gif

post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
Finished product turned out pretty good. The bone slide right out and most pieces fell right apart. There were a few pieces that were slightly dry and real stringy. Not sure if it was the cut of meat or something I did. I will post pictures tomorrow once I get my laptop up and running.
post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 

My helper got a little warm

 

I was extremely surprised how hot the foil was after sitting in the cooler for 2 hours

 

Bone slide out clean and most of the meat fell apart with ease. A few pieces were a bit dry. These pieces were long and stringy. Not sure if it was the cut of meat or what.

 

More final product

Final product

post #17 of 22

Man... That Lab can really cook! I cant even get mine to help with the dishes!

Nice looking PP. first.gif

B

post #18 of 22
Thread Starter 
I'll let him know! I should of took a pic when the pork was cooling. He sat right beside the pork the whole time just watching and waiting for a piece to magically fall.
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohlrich View Post

Finished product turned out pretty good. The bone slide right out and most pieces fell right apart. There were a few pieces that were slightly dry and real stringy. Not sure if it was the cut of meat or something I did. I will post pictures tomorrow once I get my laptop up and running.

you can always add some liquid when storing for moisture. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohlrich View Post

My helper got a little warm

 

I was extremely surprised how hot the foil was after sitting in the cooler for 2 hours

 

Bone slide out clean and most of the meat fell apart with ease. A few pieces were a bit dry. These pieces were long and stringy. Not sure if it was the cut of meat or what.

 

More final product

Final product

looks darn good. drool.gif

post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 
Pulled pork turned out amazing. Heated it in foil pans with its own juices and a little apple juice on a gas grill. The pork loin didn't fair as good. Did the same thing and the slices dried out. Next I'll try keeping it whole and warming it up. Has anyone had success warming a pork loin?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › First time Pork Shoulder with Q-view