or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Pork Butt Success! THANK YOU
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pork Butt Success! THANK YOU - Page 2

post #21 of 40
Well insulated with towels it should stay hot 4-5 hours.
post #22 of 40
Looks good so far. You can sit in the cooler for at least 2-3 hours. It will be still hot!

Pork butts and briskets are done when their done! This one only took 10 hours and the next one will take 14! They're all different. Good luck! Looks great!

Cheers!
post #23 of 40
Thread Starter 

Thank you both, much appreciated!

post #24 of 40

You can keep it wrapped up in the cooler for about 5 - 6 hours and it will still burn your fingers when you pull it!

 

Good luck,

 

Bill

post #25 of 40
Thread Starter 
Thanks PG, I think I will take an average of all three of you and let it sit for 4.5 lol!
post #26 of 40
Thread Starter 

A BIG THANK YOU! to you guys.  The food last night was a great success, and it was all a result of this site, and the helpful advice I received from you guys yesterday.  This party was a big deal for my wife and I as we were welcoming back some great friends that have been away for years.  It was really important to me that the food was as good as the company, and it was!

 

I'm very glad to have found this site; great recipes, expert advice, and good people!

 

Q-view (sorry, i was doing most of the cooking myself and was a little distracted, so i didn't get all the finished shots I wanted.)

 

Rainbows should have shot out of this cooler every time it was opened! . . . the dog agrees!

 

 

Dutch's "Wicked Baked Beans, best beans I have ever had . . . there were none left!

 

 

uh . . . duh!

 

 

Bubbonehead's Spicy Mac and Cheese . . . need I say more?

 

 

and then there were butts!

 

Step 1 -  the unwrap 

 

 

Step 2 - the first pull

 

 

Step 3 - THE BONE

 

post #27 of 40
Killer Q.. Congrats.👍
post #28 of 40

Looks good. Where's that mac recipe?

post #29 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATS32 View Post

Looks good. Where's that mac recipe?

here you go 

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/133246/my-throwdown-spicy-mac-n-cheese

post #30 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaCurtis View Post

Killer Q.. Congrats.👍

Thank you!

post #31 of 40

Thanks. Interesting mac and cheese...

post #32 of 40

One butt you foiled and one you didn't...  What's the verdict, which did you prefer?  Keith

post #33 of 40
Thread Starter 
Oh shoot, sorry Kieth in my pork butt hangover I completely forgot to mention that. So here's the verdict. I LOVED the bark on the non foiled butt, however the foiled version was so much more tender and moist. The non foiled piece was a little tough to pull, and there was an entire section that was totally dry? Was there something I might have done wrong with it?

Non foiled: spritz'd every hour, let it reach 200* then wrapped I foil and placed in cooler for 3 hours maybe a little less.

Foiled: same as above, but once it hit 165, wrapped in foil for the duration of cooking, then put in cooler for 4 hours (this one finished a bit earlier than the small one, so it sat longer)

At any rate, both were good, perhaps I just need to smoke about a 1000 more to perfect the non foiled version? What do you think?

Thanks again for the comments and help.
post #34 of 40
Every butt has it's own temperament, i am discovering. I think fat content, connective tissue content etc. all play a role in retained moisture. I have only been at this smoking thing 4 months, and am far from veteran status. Look around and listen to the pit vets in here, and believe me you will be astounded by the amount of info. I'm only sorry i got into it so late in life. Would have been nice to have gotten started when meat prices were not so out of hand. 😢
post #35 of 40

Hmmm i've done non foiled 2 ways... vertical smoker (uds) but it's a moist heat.

 

1) i've placed it on a broiling type of rack with chicken broth in the pan ...fat cap up with this method.  The last few hours i remove the pan and flip the butt.

 

2) i've also just went fat cap down which tends to shield from the direct heat.

 

Every smoker is different so one persons method might not be good for your smoker. Like i said my smoker tends to be moist anyway (no water pan)

post #36 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWIsmoker View Post

Hmmm i've done non foiled 2 ways... vertical smoker (uds) but it's a moist heat.

1) i've placed it on a broiling type of rack with chicken broth in the pan ...fat cap up with this method.  The last few hours i remove the pan and flip the butt.

2) i've also just went fat cap down which tends to shield from the direct heat.

Every smoker is different so one persons method might not be good for your smoker. Like i said my smoker tends to be moist anyway (no water pan)

Yeah, my smoker is definitely not ideal either. I will keep smokin and trying different methods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaCurtis View Post

Every butt has it's own temperament, i am discovering. I think fat content, connective tissue content etc. all play a role in retained moisture. I have only been at this smoking thing 4 months, and am far from veteran status. Look around and listen to the pit vets in here, and believe me you will be astounded by the amount of info. I'm only sorry i got into it so late in life. Would have been nice to have gotten started when meat prices were not so out of hand. 😢

I wish I had started years ago too, it's a lot of fun!
post #37 of 40
Congratulations!! The butt looks Great!!!

Here's another method you might want to look into:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/123403/2nd-attempt-lean-trimmed-butt-wet-dry-smoke-chamber-q-view-method

And an article that describes it in depth:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/wet-to-dry-no-foil-smoke-chamber-method-for-smoking-meats

I have adopted this method to most of my meats and it has really taken them to a whole other level!
post #38 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K9K View Post

Congratulations!! The butt looks Great!!!

Here's another method you might want to look into:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/123403/2nd-attempt-lean-trimmed-butt-wet-dry-smoke-chamber-q-view-method

And an article that describes it in depth:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/wet-to-dry-no-foil-smoke-chamber-method-for-smoking-meats

I have adopted this method to most of my meats and it has really taken them to a whole other level!

Great, thank you Dave!
post #39 of 40

Yep what Dave said about the wet-dry chamber method is along the same lines as what i  mentioned with the pan w/broth and removing it later.  This concept would be especially good for an electric smoker like you use especially since it's a dry heat.

 

 

I've went away with water pans for the most part in my smokers because it just doesn't need it.   Remember if you change smokers later such as to propane or charcoal...these methods will change also.   

 

This is what makes smoking so much fun, each machine is different and each piece of meat is different. 

post #40 of 40
Thread Starter 
Thank you both. I will read up and keep working at it. You guys are great!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Pork Butt Success! THANK YOU