or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › First time smoker, going to do First Pork Butt and need some advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First time smoker, going to do First Pork Butt and need some advice

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I have read a lot about different techniques and a lot of it was posted long time ago and trying to decide on approach to do my first pork Butt.

 

Do you recommend putting the meat in an foil pan to keep it more moist?

If put in a pan, do you turn the meet in the pan at any point?

 

Thanks, want the first attempt to be fairly sucessfull, as doing it for the 4th of July

post #2 of 10

Their is no rule as to if you do or don't use a pan. I use a pan with a rack in it. That way i catch some drippings. It keeps my smoker cleaner. With the rack i also get nice bark. all the way around.

I do npt turn it at all. Keep the door closed. As much as possable.

For sliced cook to 190-200   For pulled 200-205 IT

Happy smoken. and remember to post pics.

David

post #3 of 10
IMO, no pan no need to turn either. The fat will keep it moist.
post #4 of 10

I cook right on the rack. Also no turning with fat down I don't inject either. One thing, If you don't want to spend more than 12 hours then cook it at a higher temp. By that I mean no higher than 300 degrees. It won't hurt it and will come out just as good.

post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megt123 View Post

I cook right on the rack. Also no turning with fat down I don't inject either. One thing, If you don't want to spend more than 12 hours then cook it at a higher temp. By that I mean no higher than 300 degrees. It won't hurt it and will come out just as good.

If you are using a sugar based rub. You need to stay below 250 or the sugar will burn. If no sugar you can do 300 no problem.

What are you smoking on?

Happy smoken.

David

post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 

Smoking on a master forge 2 door propane.

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmaloney01 View Post

I have read a lot about different techniques and a lot of it was posted long time ago and trying to decide on approach to do my first pork Butt.

 

Do you recommend putting the meat in an foil pan to keep it more moist? Don't sweat the moist thing, its going to be moist without sitting in it's own liquid. You can use a pan under the meat to catch the drippings, if you place the meat in the pan place a wire rack on top of the pan and place the meat on the wire rack (cooling rack), on top of the pan. Just make sure to add liquid to the pan so the drippings do not burn up. And try to keep the meat out of the liquid if possible.

If put in a pan, do you turn the meet in the pan at any point? That depends, are the butts trimmed of fat, what type of cooker are you using, how does it look during the cook. I will sometimes flip/rotate depending on how the bark looks, I trim the fat as well.

 

Thanks, want the first attempt to be fairly sucessfull, as doing it for the 4th of July

 

 

Ditto theMule69

 

 

 

It also depends on your cooking apparatus.

 

This article was written for Stick burners --->Click Here<----

 

Here's a pic of a loin on a cooling rack on top of a pan.

 

 

 

  • one in one out

 

 

 

  • Flipped and rotated for a better bark formation

 

 

post #8 of 10

Sorry posted before you posted your smoker type

 

From my cooks on the GOSM a flip probably wont be necessary, but I would catch the drippings, just place a pan on a rack below the butt, make sure there's enough space in between the pan and butt so the airflow is not hindered too much.

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by themule69 View Post

If you are using a sugar based rub. You need to stay below 250 or the sugar will burn. If no sugar you can do 300 no problem.

What are you smoking on?

Happy smoken.

David

I hate to disagree with you Mule, But my rub is sugar based and nothing burned. I was around 275-300 for six hours. It was a Boston Butt and the bone pulled right out.

post #10 of 10

I use a UDS that I built.

2013-05-05 16.08.51.jpg

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › First time smoker, going to do First Pork Butt and need some advice