Well, I used the last of one bag of briquettes, and decided to finish with pecan and hickory chunks the rest of the way. My plan was to pull it, separate the point from the flat, and run the point longer. However, I absolutely destroyed the point in the process. It just was not separating properly. To make matters worse, I discovered that one of my probes was reporting low, so I had done the whole thing a little further than I wanted to.
Here are some pics:
Nice smoke ring, though a little dry on the edge.
These were some nice slices
Here is my destroyed point, lol. Ended up finishing it in the oven, wrapped in foil
My wife made some amazing red-skinned potato salad from Chef Robert Irvine's recipe. Anything with that much bacon, scallions, and onion is a winner with me!
All in all, it wasn't bad, but wasn't my greatest work either. Pecan was ok, but I guess I just prefer the stronger smoke flavor a little more. However, to be fair, I'm probably going to try it again with some Fruita pecan.
Also, the sauce was a bust. I messed up my measurements, and ended up with something that more closely resembled marinara, and simply didn't have time to reformulate to correct. I refrigerated it and am going to play with it more today.
Thanks for checking it out!