- 49 Posts. Joined 11/2015
- Location: Jacksonville Florida
- Points: 10
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productBrinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pittagged by dbsaffor, 8/20/13
- productKingsford Charcoal - 71725 18Lb Charcoal Briquetstagged by dbsaffor, 8/20/13
- productRoyal Oak 100% All Natural Hardwood Lump Charcoaltagged by dbsaffor, 8/20/13
- productWeber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18.5-Inch Smokertagged by Bama BBQ, 9/26/13
- productWeber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smokertagged by dbsaffor, 8/20/13
Related Forum Threads
- Overnight 1st brisket smoke with pics! Last post on 2/5/15 at 1:22pm in Beef
- The function or funtions of the water pan in the "WSM". Last post on 10/21/15 at 8:16am in WSM Owners (Weber Smokey Mountain)
- UPDATE - Weber (the company...) rocks!!! RE: New WSM bent, need advice on if this is normal and... Last post on 2/26/15 at 8:25am in Charcoal Smokers
- New WSM Owner, Just Joined the Forum Last post on 12/17/14 at 6:34am in Roll Call
- WHICH SMOKER TO PURCHASE FOR FATHER IN LAW Last post on 12/3/14 at 4:14pm in Wood Smokers
I bought the Weber 26.75" grill mainly for the larger grilling area. I have owned Weber's 22.5" grills for over 50 years now, I'm on my 3rd one now, but now needed more grilling area, and the...
Forgive me if I write a lot of drivel, bu this is my first review of a product on this forum: I had gotten a 12" A-maze-n tube and used it to smoke cheese last year (on my old grill), and...
I purchased this smoker to again give smoking a try. I had been a avid meat/fish smoker years ago long before all of the temperature controlled available smokers & temperature monitoring equipment...
I called Lisa from www.vacuumsealersunlimited.com, A nicer more helpful person you wont find. She walked me through the options and helped me select the VP215. This thing is the bomb! I grabbed a...
Bought this at KMart on a special sale and we've had this grill for about five years now and it has held up pretty well except the underside of the grill. The grease pan/tray that leads to the...
Royal Oak Lump Charcoal - Page 7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Since the label says 'hardwood' not 'oak' ...I suspect it's a mix of American hardwoods (on the 'Made in the USA' version of RO). That said, noting that the big green egg lump charcoal is a relabel of the same product, I'm not too worried about the quality and mix of woods ...they'd likely lose the big green egg customer if the quality wasn't there. At least to my nose/tongue, I don't detect a strong signature when the stuff is burning, for example it doesn't smell/taste like pure hickory or other. It's pretty neutral, which implies probably oak and fruit woods.
It is made up of Que Bracho, induwai and other hardwoods found here in the North of Argentina.
I buy the same bag here with English written on it as they export it from here.
Costs me about $usd 5 for a 10lb bag.
That is a brilliant idea! I'll bet they might be selling it for less than cost just to get you in there to buy more Budweiser.
I'm sure the costs right now around Christmas are normal retail. I do have a Cash & Carry between my house and the office, so that makes me happy.
I picked up a bag recently of RO Chef's Select briquettes from Cash & Carry. They are labeled "for restaurant use". They are supposed to be wood-based, I guess.
After going thru the bag, I have to say I'm not that impressed. Though the briquettes are larger than Kingsford, they are not as dense. Sort of, I dunno, punkier? Although they last as long, if not longer than the Kingsford, they didn't seem to put out as much heat. But they did leave more ash behind than even Kingsford.
Anyone else tried them?
That's funny because I began to think that there are Cash & Carry stores everywhere, then I see you're from Everett, so it's the very same one I go to. Yeah, I tried a bag of those. They're fun to haul home because the bags are so over-sized that its like something out of the Flintstones. I had the same impression - punky, but matched or bettered the charcoal. I just got the WSM 18" and I'll probably stick with Kingsford until I master it. Already thinking of what's next on the grill, spatchcocked chicken may get to make an encore performance.
Best deal at Cash and Carry is the Lazzari - 40 lbs. for about $13. It burns really well, but I find in my 22.5" WSM it burns much faster than the Kingsford Blue Bag (KBB). This is primarily due to the uneven spacing not packing as tight - so you get less charcoal in the ring and more air flow through the pile. So I will use Lazzari for shorter smokes and KBB for longer stuff (or a mix of the two).
Also with any charcoal (and especially lump) store it inside at the back or your garage if you live in a wet/humid climate. Otherwise they will absorb moisture out of the air and become skunky over time.
Agree... The charcoal should be isolated from concrete floors and weather to avoid absorption of moisture. I keep mine on a wooden shelf and/or in a plastic tub (to carry the original bag, which I also fold over and clamp shut). I use the tub for open bag(s) only.
- Royal Oak Lump Charcoal
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › bacon not right? 6 minutes ago
- › Smoked whole Trout (first run) Q-View 23 minutes ago
- › Slap Ya Mama Sticks 26 minutes ago
- › Hello From South Dakota 29 minutes ago
- › Cabelas 5lb stuffer 30 minutes ago
- › Black Forest Sticks 33 minutes ago
- › Look who is cold smoking cheese AND butter baby! 38 minutes ago
- › hot and spicy jerky rub 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › Some Boston Butt Questions 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
- › Andouille Sausage 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › Weber 781001 26.75-Inch One-Touch Gold Charcoal Grill by jesse624
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Mohole15
- › Meco 5031 Charcoal Combo Water Smoker by W2HR
- › VacMaster VP215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer by TripleQ
- › Kenmore 4 burner split lid with sear station and side burner gas grill by Cornman
- › Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill by erikself
- › Bradley Digital 4- Rack Smoker by hoekma
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by WickedPigeon
- › Char-Griller 9040 by Chicken Man 911
- › Masterbuilt 20070213 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Front... by Wilkesctywildma