or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Small Spaces › Victory Garden and Brown Thumb! (more pics 6-20)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Victory Garden and Brown Thumb! (more pics 6-20) - Page 2

post #21 of 34

Kat,

It's too late in the year in AL for cabbage to make. I wouldn't waste any time on these except to pull them up and toss them on the compost pile. It's getting too hot, and the critters will continue to snack on them. You can continue to baby them, but in the end you still won't have cabbage. To make cabbage in AL, you need to plant in August or September - by April you will have some nice heads. Same goes for all cole crops, e.g., broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, etc. The rest of your garden looks great!

Best,

Wes

post #22 of 34

Wow just found this.

 

The bush cucumbers I didn't like for pickles. If you want to go up, get some hog wire cut it and roll it into a cylinder and hog ring 'em together, pointy ends in the ground for stability. But I never plant on the rows on the sides of the runners. Let 'em go and be happy, FREEDOM! LOL 

 

Any of you tried the oriental variety of cucumbers? Some call them seedless, some call the Chinese, but I think the seeds we did were just oriental. I'll have to check the seed inventory in the freezer in the garage. No peeling required, very juicy, tender, and so crisp they will actually snap. If you ever get a chance, they get 5 stars from the Foamheart homestead. Mom liked 'em so much had to plant 'em ever year afterward.

 

I kinda miss this years garden, time slipped away from me, its as good an excuse as any. Actually I was just too dang lazy to get out in the summer heat this year.

 

Nice veggies Kat, Nothing better than a homegrown BLT!

 

BTW those hog wire cages work great for everything, reusable, definitely sturdy. Handy as pockets on a shirt.

 

We do cabbage, broccoli, greens (why mustard of course), cauliflower and strawberries in our winter garden, that Rio Verde cabbage it OMG unbelievably huge and tasty.

post #23 of 34

AppleMark

Hard to tell here, but the bamboo trellis has concrete wire strapped to it for the cucumbers to run on. My garden is late this year, so it's way behind yours Kat!

post #24 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripernut View Post

AppleMark

Hard to tell here, but the bamboo trellis has concrete wire strapped to it for the cucumbers to run on. My garden is late this year, so it's way behind yours Kat!

Looks cool!  I was afraid mine was late.  And I am a bull-headed Southern Girl...so I tried the cabbages.  It's a variety that supposedly is heat resistant too.  We shall see.  BUT....I am going to plant fall things too.  Want some late greens and such.

 

Kat

post #25 of 34

Looks great, but like a few others, my peppers and tomatoes are just starting to bloom. One of the pitfalls of living at such a high altitude and can't plant til mid June!

post #26 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael ark View Post

Looks like aphids getting to it. Look on bottem of the leafs. They can be smashed and run off they don't like the way their dead smell. You can also make a spray 3parts water 1 part dishsoap. Looks great kat!

Thanks Dear!  going to try that! Not as toxic

 

Kat

post #27 of 34
Thread Starter 

Updated pics from the Growing's on at the Victory Garden! 

Cabbages have nice heads

the Blob....the squash plant

Lynn's Spider Webs...netting for the beans

the wilderness and the onions

some of the maters

these are turning

more maters

 

corn and grass...nut grass

 

Bell peppers

 

Thanks for looking!

 

Kat

post #28 of 34
You're garden looks wonderful! You're doing a great job!

The Alabama Master Gardener website may be a good source of information on your Nut Grass and Cabbage bug issues.

Do you know what type of insect is attacking your cabbage?
Sometimes going out at night with a flashlight is a good way to see what's actively munching on your stuff.
If it's cabbage worms you should be able to see them in daylight.
Usually under the leaves.

I've used bacillus thurengensis (not sure if spelling is accurate) for cabbage worms.
Mother Earth News is a good source of organic insect control.
Those pretty little white butterflies fluttering through the garden during the day lay cabbage worm eggs.

Enjoy your gardening adventures!

Jay
post #29 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBone View Post

You're garden looks wonderful! You're doing a great job!

The Alabama Master Gardener website may be a good source of information on your Nut Grass and Cabbage bug issues.

Do you know what type of insect is attacking your cabbage?
Sometimes going out at night with a flashlight is a good way to see what's actively munching on your stuff.
If it's cabbage worms you should be able to see them in daylight.
Usually under the leaves.

I've used bacillus thurengensis (not sure if spelling is accurate) for cabbage worms.
Mother Earth News is a good source of organic insect control.
Those pretty little white butterflies fluttering through the garden during the day lay cabbage worm eggs.

Enjoy your gardening adventures!

Jay


Thanks Jay...I haven't seen any actual "buggies"....I have seen some castings from them...but no bugs or critters.  The sevin seems to have worked so far...and the heads of the cabbages are growing nice and tight. Have gotten a few issues of Mother Earth before...great mag...btw.

 

I am having fun.  Planning on doing a bunch of green bean canning on my vacation this next week.

 

Kat

post #30 of 34
Thread Starter 

A customer at the Quilt Shop surprised me today with about 4/5 pounds of Shelly Pinto beans from our favorite local Farmer's Market.  Shelled them this afternoon...washed..blanched and now they are ready to be vac bagged and into the freezer they go.

 

 

*

Kat

post #31 of 34

All those fresh pintos and not a single snap in the bunch, oh my! Kat to start making bacon soon......

You can freeze beans? All of my attempts went bad, only way I could put up beans was canned or dried. I still have big bags of pink eye'd purple hulls in the freezer that are no good but I just can't make myself throw 'em all out.

post #32 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post

All those fresh pintos and not a single snap in the bunch, oh my! Kat to start making bacon soon......

You can freeze beans? All of my attempts went bad, only way I could put up beans was canned or dried. I still have big bags of pink eye'd purple hulls in the freezer that are no good but I just can't make myself throw 'em all out.


The hulls were too dry to snap. Would have loved to have some green in there.  Yes...you can freeze them.  Blanch for 3-5 minutes...ice bath them...then load them up in vac bags.  Love the Purple hulls...freeze them every year!  YES.....home done bacon and more sausage are on my list for this summer too.

 

Kat

post #33 of 34
Kat, the garden is lookin good! I know what you mean about the nut grass, Its been a bane for me for years. I dig it, I spray it , and it keeps coming back. Do you mulch your garden? I use grass clippings in mine to help control the weeds and help keep the moisture in. As far as vining crops....I use hog fencing, though it might be a bit much for your garden. my sections are 4 ft high and @ 14 ft long. Plant the seed along the length with soaker hose at the base for watering. This works quite well for me with all vining plants, ie cukes, cantelope, pole beans and squash. but even with squash they can still be a bit unruley as they are just such massive plants. It also makes for easier picking and helps with those pesky hide and seek cukes, though a few still get past me. It also keeps the cukes an even color (no white patches on the bottom) and keeps some of the critters out of them. I used to have probems with rabbits,sqirrels and chipmunks chewing on them on the ground and some litttle bugs that would bore into the cukes and melons. This was eliminated by putting them up on a fence. I would post some pics but.......with as wet of a spring that we had this year I wasn;t able to get it in this year. Which was the opposite of last year, got the garden in early and so hot and dry it all burned up!
post #34 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeamotive View Post

Kat, the garden is lookin good! I know what you mean about the nut grass, Its been a bane for me for years. I dig it, I spray it , and it keeps coming back. Do you mulch your garden? I use grass clippings in mine to help control the weeds and help keep the moisture in. As far as vining crops....I use hog fencing, though it might be a bit much for your garden. my sections are 4 ft high and @ 14 ft long. Plant the seed along the length with soaker hose at the base for watering. This works quite well for me with all vining plants, ie cukes, cantelope, pole beans and squash. but even with squash they can still be a bit unruley as they are just such massive plants. It also makes for easier picking and helps with those pesky hide and seek cukes, though a few still get past me. It also keeps the cukes an even color (no white patches on the bottom) and keeps some of the critters out of them. I used to have probems with rabbits,sqirrels and chipmunks chewing on them on the ground and some litttle bugs that would bore into the cukes and melons. This was eliminated by putting them up on a fence. I would post some pics but.......with as wet of a spring that we had this year I wasn;t able to get it in this year. Which was the opposite of last year, got the garden in early and so hot and dry it all burned up!

thank you!  This is my first really big garden...and we didn't do any thing this year to the soil. I am amazed everyday how much things are growing.  This is an experiment for sure.  The dirt was from a "flume" that the city dug between our house and the neighbors.  I am learning what I need to do next year for sure!

 

Kat

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Small Spaces
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Small Spaces › Victory Garden and Brown Thumb! (more pics 6-20)