or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Small Spaces › Victory Garden and Brown Thumb! (more pics 6-20)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Victory Garden and Brown Thumb! (more pics 6-20)

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 

Okay...for years I have had a brown thumb...guess not anymore!  Here are some updates on the garden at the house.  I Hate Nut grass...again!  I hate nut grass!

Had to "amputate" some of the leaves on the 'maters. Getting too heavy

Maters are getting pretty

My onions are looking great....don't look at the weeds

More pretty babies

Here are some of the "squish" from the Blob

Have 4 mater plants

This cuke plant is like an octopus!

th_crybaby2.gifsomething is eating on my cabbages.

Have been using seven dust...unless someone has a better idea

One of the Bell pepper plants

The Anaheim pepper

corn is coming along

The BLOB....or the yellow squash plant

gotta get the grass out of here..with the pole beans

More peppers

the baby cukes from the Octo-Mom

 

Thanks for looking at my "growin"

 

Kat

post #2 of 34
Kat try some Permethrin instead of sevin dust.

Everything is looking Great!
post #3 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K9K View Post

Kat try some Permethrin instead of sevin dust.

Everything is looking Great!

Hadnt thought about that!  I think the Sevin has slowed them down....but I will go and get some.  Thanks Dave!

 

Kat

post #4 of 34

Wow....can't believe how big your stuff is already. Must be the 'bama heat & humidity? My 'maters & peppers are just getting flowers now. I hear ya on the garden takeover...decided to put up a trellis this year for the Boston pickling cukes. Will see how that goes....they seem so small now though

post #5 of 34
Thread Starter 

Lynn (hubby) told me to never plant squash or cukes again. (he hates them...except for pickles)

 

The squash pant is almost as tall as I am!  biggrin.gif

 

I have got to figure out a way to "make" the cukes grow up instead of being the "plant" that takes over the back yard!  Does that netting work well?

 

Kat

post #6 of 34

Kat, your garden is coming along nicely!

post #7 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP61 View Post

Kat, your garden is coming along nicely!

Thanks....I am having a blast...except for that dang nut grass.  Love playing in the dirt.

 

Kat

post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynN View Post

Lynn (hubby) told me to never plant squash or cukes again. (he hates them...except for pickles)

 

The squash pant is almost as tall as I am!  biggrin.gif

 

I have got to figure out a way to "make" the cukes grow up instead of being the "plant" that takes over the back yard!  Does that netting work well?

 

Kat

First time using it for cukes. 'Supposed' to work fine once you get the vines started on it. I use a similar thing for snap peas and they climb great. Cukes and squash are pretty much the same...trailing vines that can be trained to go up. The fruits hang for easy picking and less back strain bending over

post #9 of 34
Thread Starter 

Cool....I saw some like that at Walmart the other day! Thanks for the idea too!  yahoo.gif

 

Kat

post #10 of 34

Did you read the Sevin label/instructions??

 

The wife (who has a horticulture degree) sez use sevin .and give it some time..

 

Dont harvest any veggies that have been sevined for at least one week..

 

          Craig

post #11 of 34

I am really jealous! Like Chef Willie, my tomatoes and peppers just have flowers. Looking good!

 

Disco

post #12 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post

I am really jealous! Like Chef Willie, my tomatoes and peppers just have flowers. Looking good!

 

Disco

Thank you Disco.  The Garden is huge...and again...Hate the dang nut grass (nut sedge)!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpnmf View Post

Did you read the Sevin label/instructions??

 

The wife (who has a horticulture degree) sez use sevin .and give it some time..

 

Dont harvest any veggies that have been sevined for at least one week..

 

          Craig


I did...and remember my Grandparents using it years ago.  AND nothing else.  Thanks Craig!

 

Kat

post #13 of 34
Thread Starter 

Here are some things that I harvested the last 2 days.  Some turned into dinner tonight too.

 

*

The 2 huge cukes had been hiding from me.  Those are really too big.  But got 3 cukes, a nice bell pepper and the maters on Sunday.

*

This was from tonight.  Got out and put netting up for the pole beans...and Lynn said it looks like spider webs out there.  Too dark for a pic of that but I will take some tomorrow.  Got 8 better cukes....4 jalaps..pulled on onion early...stepped on it...oops.....4 squash...and 4 anaheim peppers.

 

Not bad for a day!  Here is dinner from tonight.

*

I made "Garden Fried Rice"!  Used my last package of Pops Breakfast sausage...some of the onion..some of the squash...some fresh broccoli...some kale/chickory/red cabbage/shredded brussle sprout veggie blend too.  Was yummers....and a bit on the "healthy side".

*

As usual with my herd...I made a BIG a$$ pan of it too!

 

Thanks for looking!

 

Kat

post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynN View Post

Here are some things that I harvested the last 2 days.  Some turned into dinner tonight too.

 

*

The 2 huge cukes had been hiding from me.  Those are really too big.  But got 3 cukes, a nice bell pepper and the maters on Sunday.

*

This was from tonight.  Got out and put netting up for the pole beans...and Lynn said it looks like spider webs out there.  Too dark for a pic of that but I will take some tomorrow.  Got 8 better cukes....4 jalaps..pulled on onion early...stepped on it...oops.....4 squash...and 4 anaheim peppers.

 

Not bad for a day!  Here is dinner from tonight.

*

I made "Garden Fried Rice"!  Used my last package of Pops Breakfast sausage...some of the onion..some of the squash...some fresh broccoli...some kale/chickory/red cabbage/shredded brussle sprout veggie blend too.  Was yummers....and a bit on the "healthy side".

*

As usual with my herd...I made a BIG a$$ pan of it too!

 

Thanks for looking!

 

Kat

Looks so good. We are waiting for our first patio tomato. Our cucumbers are inches high and peppers are a long way away. While I am jealous, I am also impressed with your results. Enjoy your garden.

 

Disco

post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynN View Post

Lynn (hubby) told me to never plant squash or cukes again. (he hates them...except for pickles)

 

The squash plant is almost as tall as I am!  biggrin.gif

 

I have got to figure out a way to "make" the cukes grow up instead of being the "plant" that takes over the back yard!  Does that netting work well?

 

Kat

T posts and a section of field fence or string some wire between the posts and make a "fence".

post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroforce100 View Post

T posts and a section of field fence or string some wire between the posts and make a "fence".

Also, I have started growing bush variety cucumbers. They are cucumbers that grow in a bush form that stay compact and don't need staking. This year I have planted "Bush Pickle".

 

Disco

post #17 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroforce100 View Post

T posts and a section of field fence or string some wire between the posts and make a "fence".

Also, I have started growing bush variety cucumbers. They are cucumbers that grow in a bush form that stay compact and don't need staking. This year I have planted "Bush Pickle".

 

Disco

Welllllll.....with the Blob (squash plant) and the Creature (the cuke plants)....probably going to do the bush ones next year.  biggrin.gif  It's getting to the point that I cant walk in there with out fear of stepping on something.

 

Kat

post #18 of 34

Looking good Kat.............icon14.gif
 

post #19 of 34
Looks like aphids getting to it. Look on bottem of the leafs. They can be smashed and run off they don't like the way their dead smell. You can also make a spray 3parts water 1 part dishsoap. Looks great kat!
post #20 of 34

Kat, grat work!!!

 

You got me beat on the pepper plants!  Mine are still small. 

 

My little tomato patch is doing OK, so I cannot complain.  The home bosswife.gif is eyeballing the tomatoes when I come in the back door every evening.  They don't last long.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Small Spaces
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Small Spaces › Victory Garden and Brown Thumb! (more pics 6-20)