or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Rib Anatomy, need help SQWIB
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rib Anatomy, need help SQWIB - Page 2

post #21 of 33
Thread Starter 

 

 

 

 

no bones in the top piece, all meat.

so what are the rib tips?

 

 

this piece had no skirt meat but the area is marked.

 

post #22 of 33
Thread Starter 

OK rib tips and brisket are the same.

 

 

post #23 of 33

After further review, it appears that the sternum was removed before you bought the ribs. The two pieces at the top constitute the rib tips and the piece you cut off the end just evens out the rack so it looks good. Pretty certain about that given the reconstituted pic in post #12.

post #24 of 33

This is from Amazingrib© website  http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/pork_cuts.html#loin:

 

  

On the reverse side is the inner and outer diaphragm muscles; a.k.a. the skirt/a,k.a. the flap.  The section trimmed off  on the bottom is known as the brisket, a.k.a. rib tips.  The end on the left is the trimmed end to square up the rack so only full length rib pieces are presented.

 

Hope that helps!  In the meatcutting world, you simply separate the brisket from the ribs, fold the end piece under (left for the purchaser to decide what to do with) and lay the ribs on top of the brisket in a #10 tray, wrap w/parsley in the left bottom corner, descriptive in the lower right, price tag top right and display.   An older, alternate way of display is to nick the brisket bones several times, basically in between the ribs, cut in half through the middle rib, and lay on top of each other in a #4 tray, leaving rib and brisket intact. From there, the customer has the choice on trimming the diaphragm muscles or not, trimming the end piece, etc.

 

Personally, I do ABSOLTELY NOTHING to the rack of spareribs.  No trimming, no separating, nothing:  I want to eat every bit of them, from the membrane to the last little bit on the brisket and any coating on the ribs themselves, all the way around!   What the dog gets is ribs, bare, anything I cannot chew, and stripped and bare ligaments minus any fat or muscle.

 

 

 

Spares done for July 4th, 2010 in the smokehouse.

post #25 of 33

LL

 

As Pops pointed out the 2 pieces at the top are collectively called the Brisket...BUT...For clarification for my students, I referred to the portion containing the little pieces of Cartilage as the Rib Tips and the nice bone/cartilage free slab of meat as the Brisket. They could then relate the description more to cuts of Beef. The rest is correctly labeled...JJ

post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops6927 View Post

 

Personally, I do ABSOLTELY NOTHING to the rack of spareribs.  No trimming, no separating, nothing:  I want to eat every bit of them, from the membrane to the last little bit on the brisket and any coating on the ribs themselves, all the way around!   What the dog gets is ribs, bare, anything I cannot chew, and stripped and bare ligaments minus any fat or muscle

 

I am getting back to this style rib now that I have enough cook space. I do remove the membrane though and trim any excess fat.

post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post

LL

 

 

As Pops pointed out the 2 pieces at the top are collectively called the Brisket...BUT...For clarification for my students, I referred to the portion containing the little pieces of Cartilage as the Rib Tips and the nice bone/cartilage free slab of meat as the Brisket. They could then relate the description more to cuts of Beef. The rest is correctly labeled...JJ

 

 

Actually, the brisket is combined with the plate on a slab of spareribs; much like in beef; the (in red) is also part of the diaphragm muscle, (aka flap, aka skirt).  It envelops the lungs and the contraction/expansion causes the lungs to suck in/blow out, like a parachute.  They are also known as the inside and outside diaphragm muscles.

 

you can see the diaphragm muscle on the plate, this is the flap on the sparerib.  The whole section ia rweferred to as 'the brisket', but in actuality it is a combination of brisket and plate.

 

 

 

As you can see on the forequarter of beef, you have the brisket and plate, and the plate and rib.  The rack of spareribs are a combination of the brisket and plate:

 

 

which is the pork shoulder and spare ribs in this picture.  The Whole shoulder is removed as 1 piece, which is the butt and the shoulder, then the inner bone structure removed from both pieces.  The pork shoulder bones are where the actual 'brisket' is.  The slab of spare ribs is peeled off the belly by natural seam and it is the last rib of the brisket and the plate (along the bottom, under the description, showing the inner and outer diaphragm muscles).

post #28 of 33

Thanks Pops for the additional info...JJ

post #29 of 33
Thread Starter 

Thanks Guys. I just wanted to make sure my terminology was fairly accurate for my website. Thanks Again

post #30 of 33

-


Edited by Black - 10/16/13 at 5:59pm
post #31 of 33
Thread Starter 

No, theres a ton of pages to get to my site, I don't post my website link, because it goes against forum rules.

 

I usually tell folks they can Google "SQWIB Cooks"

post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQWIB View Post

No, theres a ton of pages to get to my site, I don't post my website link, because it goes against forum rules.

 

I usually tell folks they can Google "SQWIB Cooks"

I've got a from scratch chili recipe for you if you want it. I was poking around the site. 30.gif

post #33 of 33
Thread Starter 

Sure I'm always up for a recipe

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Rib Anatomy, need help SQWIB