or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Cold Smoking › Other › Smoked Butter - From Scratch Q/view
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smoked Butter - From Scratch Q/view - Page 3

post #41 of 55

Looking at Eric's post on Smoke effecting Rennet's action on curd formation...It won't. Rennet is an Enzyme, Chymosin, that causes one of the Proteins in milk, Casein, to coagulate into curds. Enzymes are Chemicals somewhat similar to Acid.  They can be destroyed or inactivated by Heat but Cold Smoke should have Zero if not very limited affect on their action, however, I don't know all the chemical properties of Smoke. Now, the Smokes affect on any Bacteria added to curd to establish the assorted flavors and types of cheese may very well be a different story. I would say for the basic homemade Fresh Cheeses like mozzarella, Cream, and Cottage Cheese as well as the Acid coagulated Ricotta, the smoking of the Milk or Cream should only add flavor and extent the shelf life in combination with any salt added. Which by the way is why Salt is added to Butter.

 

For all reading this...Home made Butter that does not contain Salt will have a limited Fresh Tasting Shelf Life. It will not kill you but after 3-4 days you will notice a quickly increasing Off Taste or Souring. This is because although the cream was originally Ultra Pasteurized the whipping effect of the food processor also whips airborne Bacteria into the newly formed Butter. Some Bacteria, Lactobacillus, is deliberately added to Butter in parts of Europe because while it adds a Sour/Fermented taste to Butter it is very effective at inhibiting other harmful bacteria or bacteria the cause spoilage. So make small batches, add salt or with time we will see if the Smoke extends the shelf life. Wrap your butter well as butter is extremely good at picking up flavors from the refer or freezer. For an additional flavor twist, you can wrap your butter in Fresh Herbs, sliced Onion, sliced Garlic or go crazy and add a slice of Blue Cheese, then remove them after a day or two. All will add a " Hint " of flavor without the Punch that mixing a Compound Butter would have...JJ

post #42 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post

Looking at Eric's post on Smoke effecting Rennet's action on curd formation...It won't. Rennet is an Enzyme, Chymosin, that causes one of the Proteins in milk, Casein, to coagulate into curds. Enzymes are Chemicals somewhat similar to Acid.  They can be destroyed or inactivated by Heat but Cold Smoke should have Zero if not very limited affect on their action, however, I don't know all the chemical properties of Smoke. Now, the Smokes affect on any Bacteria added to curd to establish the assorted flavors and types of cheese may very well be a different story. I would say for the basic homemade Fresh Cheeses like mozzarella, Cream, and Cottage Cheese as well as the Acid coagulated Ricotta, the smoking of the Milk or Cream should only add flavor and extent the shelf life in combination with any salt added. Which by the way is why Salt is added to Butter.

 

For all reading this...Home made Butter that does not contain Salt will have a limited Fresh Tasting Shelf Life. It will not kill you but after 3-4 days you will notice a quickly increasing Off Taste or Souring. This is because although the cream was originally Ultra Pasteurized the whipping effect of the food processor also whips airborne Bacteria into the newly formed Butter. Some Bacteria, Lactobacillus, is deliberately added to Butter in parts of Europe because while it adds a Sour/Fermented taste to Butter it is very effective at inhibiting other harmful bacteria or bacteria the cause spoilage. So make small batches, add salt or with time we will see if the Smoke extends the shelf life. Wrap your butter well as butter is extremely good at picking up flavors from the refer or freezer. For an additional flavor twist, you can wrap your butter in Fresh Herbs, sliced Onion, sliced Garlic or go crazy and add a slice of Blue Cheese, then remove them after a day or two. All will add a " Hint " of flavor without the Punch that mixing a Compound Butter would have...JJ

 

JJ,  Thanks for the research on rennet hopefully smoke won't have any effect on it. It will probably be fall before I do any testing.

 

The shelf life of unsalted butter is shorter than the salted variety, but we only use unsalted, it helps when using recipes that contain salt to regulate it more precisely and do not have a problem with the flavor going off before it is used.  We have also found that by using a butter bell, the shelf life is extended even when kept at room temperature.  Keeping excess butter  in the freezer works very well as we can buy it in bulk when on sale.

 

Although using a food processor to churn butter may whip more air into the butter than using a actual butter churn, I believe it is limited, as when the butter is formed it sticks to the sides of the processor away from the blades.  If whipped butter is desired, remove the butter, press liquid out then place back into processor and whip while stopping and folding back in until the desired consistency is reached. 

 

Thanks again for the time JJ.

 

Tom

post #43 of 55
Thread Starter 

This is fresh smoked butter after being molded into individual servings using a candy mold.

 

000_0115.jpg

 

If you have not tried making your own butter, you cannot get it any fresher than making your own.

 

If you want to make your own cream cheese.  Remove it as soon as it begins to fold in on itself.  This would be prior to turning into butter.

 

Tom

post #44 of 55
Thread Starter 

Now that sweet corn season is here.  Is anyone making smoked butter from scratch for their corn?

 

Tom

post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T 59874 View Post

Now that sweet corn season is here.  Is anyone making smoked butter from scratch for their corn?

 

Tom


Tom - Thanks for bumping your butter tutorial. I got the Smoking Gun around 3 months ago but things have been so hectic that I didn't get around to unpacking it until a couple days ago. Your butter from scratch is first on my list to make with the Gun.

post #46 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dls1 View Post

 I got the Smoking Gun around 3 months ago but things have been so hectic that I didn't get around to unpacking it until a couple days ago. Your butter from scratch is first on my list to make with the Gun.

dls, I find it perfect for the corn, but let us know what you think.

 

Tom   

post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T 59874 View Post

dls, I find it perfect for the corn, but let us know what you think.

 

Tom   


I picked up some heavy cream last night, and it's on my "To Do" list for the weekend. Need some corn and I'm set to go. Your tutorial and comments are comprehensive so I should be in good shape. Thanks again, and I'll let you know about the experiment when it happens.

post #48 of 55

Well, I’ve got to give it to you Tom. Just did the butter following your instructions and it came out great. A couple observations. The processor ran for a little over 10 minutes, but the blade never stopped or seized up. For expelling the excess liquid I found a rubber spatula to work better the a wooden one. The residual buttermilk and a sample of the butter tasted great. Simple as can be with excellent results. It’s definitely a keeper. Thanks much for the help and instructions.

 

BTW, it was the initial run with my Smoking Gun. It's the perfect tool for the job. I'm using it a little later with a block of 5 year aged cheddar and some Marcona almonds.

 

Thanks again.

post #49 of 55
Thread Starter 

dls, What's better than homemade butter and it's so easy?   Glad you felt your smoked butter and buttermilk was great.  The time and process sounded to be spot on.  

 

One thing that I overlooked in the original thread which I will correct, is the importance of removing as much of the residual buttermilk as possible.  This can be done by pressing the butter while in a bowl of cold water.  When the water remains clear the butter is ready for refrigeration or freezing.  Butter with residual buttermilk in it will soon go rancid.

 

As for the Smoking Gun, a smoked food enthusiast as yourself will find it invaluable in smoking items that would be difficult to smoke without it.

 

Tom  

post #50 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T 59874 View Post

dls, What's better than homemade butter and it's so easy?   Glad you felt your smoked butter and buttermilk was great.  The time and process sounded to be spot on.  

 

One thing that I overlooked in the original thread which I will correct, is the importance of removing as much of the residual buttermilk as possible.  This can be done by pressing the butter while in a bowl of cold water.  When the water remains clear the butter is ready for refrigeration or freezing.  Butter with residual buttermilk in it will soon go rancid.

 

As for the Smoking Gun, a smoked food enthusiast as yourself will find it invaluable in smoking items that would be difficult to smoke without it.

 

Tom  


You're correct, Tom. The butter is simple. easy, and excellent (smoked or not). I'll definitely be doing this in the future when needed. I'm thinking about adding some spices or herbs to the next batch. I may never buy butter again.

 

Being my first time doing this i was pretty vigilant on removing the residual buttermilk then reserved half for current use and froze the remainder.

 

Beyond the butter, I used the Smoking Gun yesterday on a block of 5 year aged cheddar, burrata, and Marcona almonds. I can see a lot of uses for the device in the future.

 

Thanks again.

post #51 of 55

This thread is old but if it makes you curious you HAVE to try this at home. Its ridiculously easy, literally pour the cream in and turn processor on for 7 min and then remove buttermilk. I dont eat much butter but I think Id had marjorine all my life. After I made it I think I talked about how good it was for 30 min or more, seriously wouldnt stop talking about butter for that long. I ordered the smoking gun after I made it so I could try the butter smoked!

 

This thread is old but deserves a bump. Try it. Thank you Mr. T, it was freaking amazing.

post #52 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmyers23 View Post
 

This thread is old but if it makes you curious you HAVE to try this at home. Its ridiculously easy, literally pour the cream in and turn processor on for 7 min and then remove buttermilk. I dont eat much butter but I think Id had marjorine all my life. After I made it I think I talked about how good it was for 30 min or more, seriously wouldnt stop talking about butter for that long. I ordered the smoking gun after I made it so I could try the butter smoked!

 

This thread is old but deserves a bump. Try it. Thank you Mr. T, it was freaking amazing.

 

LOL   I'm so glad you enjoyed making your butter.  You will now be able to make some wonderful compound butter using the same technique.

 

 You will find that the Smoking Gun will open a whole new world of smoking possibilities to you.  It has become a valuable piece in my smoking arsenal.  If you have any questions on the use of your Smoking Gun, I may be able to help as I have learned some tips in it's use. 

 

Tom

post #53 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T 59874 View Post
 

 

LOL   I'm so glad you enjoyed making your butter.  You will now be able to make some wonderful compound butter using the same technique.

 

 You will find that the Smoking Gun will open a whole new world of smoking possibilities to you.  It has become a valuable piece in my smoking arsenal.  If you have any questions on the use of your Smoking Gun, I may be able to help as I have learned some tips in it's use. 

 

Tom


It felt like everyone had been keeping a secret from me my whole life. Cant ever go back to margarine. My smoking gun came in today but I wont be able to mess with it for a few days. Im sure I'll have questions for you, appreciate the offer.

 

Love all your tutorials Mr T, thanks!

post #54 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmyers23 View Post
 


It felt like everyone had been keeping a secret from me my whole life. Cant ever go back to margarine. My smoking gun came in today.

 

Love all your tutorials Mr T, thanks!

 

pc,  Have you had a chance to make smoked butter?  If so, what did you think of the smoked buttermilk?  How do you like your new handheld smoker?

 

Tom

post #55 of 55

Yes I did another round and used maple pellets. The smoked buttermilk was one of the best things Ive ever tasted, just the right amount of smooth smoke. Believe I'll try one burst of smoke instead of two next time but I love it. Ive let a few people try it and they uncontrollably eat it, pretty funny to watch. Still learning with the smoking gun but that thing is pretty cool.

 

 

 

Thanks for the help!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Cold Smoking › Other › Smoked Butter - From Scratch Q/view