or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › 4 butts for my smoker at $.99lbs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

4 butts for my smoker at $.99lbs

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Schnucks put butts on sale for $.99lbs so four of them went in my smoker.

 

Rub all mixed up

 

love the price icon14.gif

Chicken on sale same price as the butts.

 

I like having them in pans to catch all the juice. and easy clean up in the smoker

and when its time to foil just cover the pan and done.

All rub up

Using my gas smoker. So using the tube smoker for it. works great!!!!!!!

Real easy way to get the pellets started.

In the smoker. The tube smoker will go on the bottom rack. It will last for about 6 hours

before I will have to reload it.

Got them on around 6am

Here they are after 13 hours in the smoker. Foil them and back in the smoker.

Took around 18 hours to get done.

All pulled . I defat the juice and pour most of it back onto the Pulled pork.

The Rest of the juice I put in ice cubes trays to freeze.

Did this last weekend . Just now getting them put on SMF.

Smoke the chicken in the afternoon but didn't get any pictures

Thanks for looking

post #2 of 17

Looks Great JRod!!!

 

Nice Job!!!

 

Great Price!!  I haven't seen $0.99 for Butts around here for over 4 years!!!

 

Question----Do you get plenty of smoke on the Butts, when you have them in the pan through the whole smoke?

I was always afraid to do that, because I am a "Smoke-Hound".

 

 

Thanks,

Bear

post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post

Looks Great JRod!!!

 

Nice Job!!!

 

Great Price!!  I haven't seen $0.99 for Butts around here for over 4 years!!!

 

Question----Do you get plenty of smoke on the Butts, when you have them in the pan through the whole smoke?

I was always afraid to do that, because I am a "Smoke-Hound".

 

 

Thanks,

Bear

Bear, I've always wondered that as well.  I don't because of that reason.

 

The ice trays are a great idea!  Thanks for sharing that.

post #4 of 17

i love that ice tray idea! i'm going to have to give that a try. i'm assuming those are dedicated "pork trays" and they dont go back into ice use? LOL
 

as for the pan...personally i would get at least 4 hours of "all around" smoke before putting in a tray.

post #5 of 17

I thought about lighting the tube like you did.  So you loaded the tube and then put one of the starter cubes in the end and lit it up?  Such a great idea.

post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post

I thought about lighting the tube like you did.  So you loaded the tube and then put one of the starter cubes in the end and lit it up?  Such a great idea.


I have been wondering about those lighting cubes myself!  Do tell!  Also...saving the juices in a ice tray....great idea.

 

Kat

post #7 of 17

Great looking butts! Good tip on the lighting cubes.

 

We vac pac our stock cubes. I package them in two cup increments. Pour the liquid into the trays from a measuring cup then you know how many cubes make a cup.

 

700

post #8 of 17
PP looks delicious! Love thrice tray idea!

Red
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post

Looks Great JRod!!!

 

Nice Job!!!

 

Great Price!!  I haven't seen $0.99 for Butts around here for over 4 years!!!

 

Question----Do you get plenty of smoke on the Butts, when you have them in the pan through the whole smoke?

I was always afraid to do that, because I am a "Smoke-Hound".

 

 

Thanks,

Bear

I think it does still get a lot of smoke, Done it both ways in the pan and on the rack, can't tell the differents. Fat cap down and try to leave room on all sides of the butts.

Schnucks will run the sale a few times a year. Buy as many as I can when they do go on sale like that.

post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmays View Post

i love that ice tray idea! i'm going to have to give that a try. i'm assuming those are dedicated "pork trays" and they dont go back into ice use? LOL
 

as for the pan...personally i would get at least 4 hours of "all around" smoke before putting in a tray.

Thanks , as far as the ice trays they are "pork trays" or "Beef trays" only.

I seen it on a thread  here a long time ago,( thinking it was one of  "Bear" threads) He has a lot of great ideas . Bet I have read every one of his posts over the last few years.

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod62 View Post

I think it does still get a lot of smoke, Done it both ways in the pan and on the rack, can't tell the differents. Fat cap down and try to leave room on all sides of the butts.

Schnucks will run the sale a few times a year. Buy as many as I can when they do go on sale like that.

 

Thanks JRod,

I'll have to try the Pan method. My Dishwasher is 65 years old, and will be glad for less scrubbing.

 

 

Bear

post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post

I thought about lighting the tube like you did.  So you loaded the tube and then put one of the starter cubes in the end and lit it up?  Such a great idea.

It works great. I'm to lazy to stand there holding the lighter on the pellets until they get burning good.

fill the tube and put the cube at the end and lit iT and walk away AND finish whatever else I have going on.

Then when I have to refill it I have a funnel that fits in the end of the tube and pour the new pellets in the tube.

and back in the smoker it goes. Also use the cubes in the AMNPS.

post #13 of 17

Thanks for 'splainin'! Gonna try that next smoke.

 

Kat

post #14 of 17

Just watched a UTube video of those starter cubes---Pretty neat !!!------- Works much like "C4"

 

Shame we can't buy C4, it worked Awesome for heating up cans of C-Rations.

 

 

Bear

post #15 of 17

If you want to place your Meat on fiol and still get a good all round smoking,try these :

700 got them at Wally World...abput$2.

 

Betteryet, use these with frog mats... will be ordering some soon.

post #16 of 17
Quote:

 

Thanks JRod,

I'll have to try the Pan method. My Dishwasher is 65 years old, and will be glad for less scrubbing.

 

 

Bear

Sir that is one good dishwasher.   Mine gave up with the mess I make.... :-)

post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolbbq View Post

If you want to place your Meat on fiol and still get a good all round smoking,try these :
700
 got them at Wally World...abput$2.

Betteryet, use these with frog mats... will be ordering some soon.
Thanks, I will have to get some of them
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › 4 butts for my smoker at $.99lbs