or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Smokin my first turkey tomorrow - couple questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smokin my first turkey tomorrow - couple questions

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

So I've been reading through this section of the forum and have picked up a couple tips. Bird is about 12 pounds, it's brining in a mixture of water, honey, salt, sugar, and lots of herbs.

 

Questions:

 

My smoker is the Brinkman electric and it pretty much only heats at one temp. It reaches 225 and doesn't really move from there, ever lol. At least that was my experience this weekend with three different smokes, since I just got the smoker.

 

How long will a 12 pound bird take at 225? I was thinking somewhere between 5 and 7 hours?

 

Also, I'll be smoking a pork butt at the same time (starting that one much earlier) and I was under the impression that the pork should be smoked on the top rack and the turkey on the bottom and place a drip pan underneath it. Is that right?

 

And of course I'll post some pics tomorrow! The pork goes on at 5am, so I'll be pretty bored all day!

post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatuajeVI View Post

So I've been reading through this section of the forum and have picked up a couple tips. Bird is about 12 pounds, it's brining in a mixture of water, honey, salt, sugar, and lots of herbs.

 

Questions:

 

My smoker is the Brinkman electric and it pretty much only heats at one temp. It reaches 225 and doesn't really move from there, ever lol. At least that was my experience this weekend with three different smokes, since I just got the smoker.

 

How long will a 12 pound bird take at 225? I was thinking somewhere between 5 and 7 hours?

At that temp I would guess that you should hit your IT at about 2 hours per pound +/-. Note that with the large amount of cold meat going in your smoker temp is going to drop quite a bit and take a while to recover. Also reserve a good 45 minutes to a hour for the bird to rest wrapped in foil after the cook.

 

Also, I'll be smoking a pork butt at the same time (starting that one much earlier) and I was under the impression that the pork should be smoked on the top rack and the turkey on the bottom and place a drip pan underneath it. Is that right?

Always put poultry below whatever else you are cooking.

 

And of course I'll post some pics tomorrow! The pork goes on at 5am, so I'll be pretty bored all day!

 

Good Luck!

post #3 of 8

How much does the Butt weigh? An eight pound butt at 225* can take 16-20hrs to hit an IT of 205*. Just a heads up if your planning on having it for dinner.

post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Butt is 8 pounds. I plan on having the turkey for dinner and the pork will be for the weekend, I doubt it will be done by dinner, as you said.

Also, 2 hours per pound for turkey? Please tell me that is a typo! 24 hours in the smoker is too long!
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatuajeVI View Post

Butt is 8 pounds. I plan on having the turkey for dinner and the pork will be for the weekend, I doubt it will be done by dinner, as you said.

Also, 2 hours per pound for turkey? Please tell me that is a typo! 24 hours in the smoker is too long!

Good catch, yes 1/2 hour or .5 hours per pound... I cook mine to an IT of 165* 170* in the breast 165* in the thigh.

post #6 of 8

^^^^^^^ good answer...biggrin.gif

post #7 of 8

Good luck,  TatuajeVI!  Be sure to show and tell us how it turned out!

 

Red

post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Good catch, yes 1/2 hour or .5 hours per pound... I cook mine to an IT of 165* 170* in the breast 165* in the thigh.


Oh thank God, lol I was about to freak.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Poultry
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Smokin my first turkey tomorrow - couple questions