After a long awaited opportunity to try my new smoker, and a first attempt at smoking meat, the result was not what it should've been. I think I over smoked the meat. The pork butt had a lot of flavor but was dry.
Here's what I did:
- Used a digital dual thermometer to monitor meat and smoker temps
- Had a bit of a problem keeping temp down. At one point it went up to 295 degrees
- Did the general one hour per pound cooking time but also used the meat thermometer to ensure at least 170 degrees internal
- After about 2 hours wrapped in foil and continued to cook but the foil filled with a lot of juices so I pierced the bottom to drain
- Butt size was 4 pounds but after four hours it didn't look cooked when I cut into it so let cook until it looked cooked inside.
This is why I think I over cooked the meat.
Might help to say I used a Master Forge vertical smoker bought at Lowes.
All comments welcome since I'll try smoking another pork butt soon.