Here's probably the start of a million questions.......maybe I'll be able to answer one some day!
I have a simple home made stainless smoker. Basically a box with a drip tray and food shelf. Smoked some salmon....really nice but it's a bit of a pain to get to the chips etc. I really need something better.
What I know I want:
- Pretty much sure I want an electric set up to avoid having to master charcoal on long cook times.
- Having said that I like the option of being able to remove the electric bits and use some charcoal sometimes. This isn't absolutely necessary though.
- I don't want to be restricted to any pre-formed bisquettes (right spelling?!)
- I plan to try both hot and cold smoking. I could keep my current smoker for cold smoking but would rather sell it.
- I want to be able to smoke larger items as well as small i.e. joints, briskets, full sides of salmon etc. No whole hogs though!
- I don't want to spend a fortune but not planning to buy junk either. I want it to last. I'll be an occasional smoker really but that might increase!
The big question is.........what smoker to get?! Importantly, I'm in Scotland so I can't access the same range available in the US and Canada.
I've seen smokers like this. http://www.gardengiftshop.co.uk/acatalog/Electric-Fish---Meat-Smoker.html
It's just a single skin, not stainless, with a simple electric element. Not sure if it's a good buy or not. Any thoughts?
Any steer on this or any smoker is welcome!