or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Smoker Builds › Reverse Flow › RF Patio Version Build and Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RF Patio Version Build and Questions

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Getting ready to start on the RF Patio Version.  Currently, I have two tanks.  I have a 100# Propane tank that is 15.1"D x 46.6"L and possibly a 33 Gallon Air Compressor tank.  The basic plan is to build a RF unit out of the Propane tank.  I have a few questions before I make my final decision.

 

1.  Is a 15.1" Diameter enough to build a RF version Smoker? 

2.  The biggest issue I am having with the design of it is the Fire box to cook chamber.  How do you determine that amount of the half moon to connect to the firebox?

3.  What correlation does the firebox hole have with the Reverse flow hole? 

4.  I see many chimney's have a 90 degree elbow on them.  Thoughts about this?  Does it not restrict the airflow?

 

Any help would be great.  My plan is to start this build in a week.  I definately know what I want.  I want two racks hence why am am possibly leaning towards using the aircompresser tank as my main and the propan tank as my firebox. 

 

If the 100# tank is used  (Diameter = 15.1  Length = 46.6)

Cook Chamber size = 8230.73 cu in.
Recom. Firebox size=2743.58 cu in. (20# tank = 2033.98 cu in) (15”Hx15”Wx14”L=3150 cu in.)
Chimney Diameter = 4” = 8.10” L       3.5” = 16.38”L
Firebox to Cook Chamber Opening = 8.01”  Half Moon
Cook Chamber opening = greater than 8.01”

post #2 of 14

"Is a 15.1" Diameter enough to build a RF version Smoker?"

 

I really hate to rain on your parade, but here goes. I don't think so.

 

There is a certain amount of work that goes into any build regardless of size. If you were to use a larger tank it would be almost no additional work and you would have plenty of room for a reverse plate and double racks. If I was doing a patio smoker I would use a 120 Gal. LP tank. Around here they run about 125 dollars.

post #3 of 14

I agree with Maple Sticks. PM Dave Omak, he has a calculator for the opening size you are asking about and he can tell you what he thinks about the 100 #er. He helps on these builds on a daily basis.

post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 

Maple sticks not raining on my parade at all.  I bought it for $20 so was not that worried about it.  I am not sure if I want to go as big as a 120 gallon for a patio version smoker.  I am only looking to be able to smoke for mostly two people.  Maybe sometime for others but rarely.  I am thinking I might use the 33 Gallon Air compressor tank that I have for my main smoker and then cut the 100lb tank for my firebox.  The Air Compressor has a larger diameter but not as long.  Thanks for the input.  I just don't want it to be totally useless.  lol

post #5 of 14
what's the dimensions for the AC tank ?
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolford51 View Post

Maple sticks not raining on my parade at all.  I bought it for $20 so was not that worried about it.  I am not sure if I want to go as big as a 120 gallon for a patio version smoker.  I am only looking to be able to smoke for mostly two people.  Maybe sometime for others but rarely.  I am thinking I might use the 33 Gallon Air compressor tank that I have for my main smoker and then cut the 100lb tank for my firebox.  The Air Compressor has a larger diameter but not as long.  Thanks for the input.  I just don't want it to be totally useless.  lol


Hands down "I" would build a UDS for what you want. It would be a lot less work and they are great. Just my opinion.

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 

Haha I would other than I don't like the way they look.  They are a UDS for a reason.  I think I will definately do the 33 gallon.  That will give me plenty of cooking space that I need.  Plus, I won't have any issues fabricating it.  Just don't want a vertical or two 55 gallon drums on my deck.  Kind of doing this a test run for a trailer version coming soon.  I figured I could work out some of the design issues with a small scale one first.

post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 

JckDanls07 I will have to double check but I believe it is 41.5" long x 22.75 Diameter.  Just need help with the half moon firebox entrance and the RF end.

post #9 of 14

i see no reason the 100lber wont make for a nice small gathering reverse flow,im in the process of making one now..

*

post #10 of 14

Nwolford,

 

You can do a RFS with a 15" diameter tank. It would be fine for a patio / small party cooker.  I started my build with a 18" wide by 53" tank.  Maple Sticks is right its all about the same effort to build a RFS, the pieces just are a bit larger.  If I wanted to just build the "one and only smoker" I would use something in the 120-150 gallon range (22" or wider).  I really didn't dawn on me the time required, and if I had to do it all over I would have chosen a larger tank.   Mine will suffice for 4-6 pork butt cooks, but not the large party cooks.   

 

 I will finish this one and already have plans for my next  build, if i ever finish this one! (LOL).  

Check out my slow build  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/136550/first-build-patio-rf-50-gallon-lefty-version

 

As far as the half moon cut out, you need to find from the calculator the size of the CC to FB opening (area square inches).  The half moon function on the Feldon site is basic.  Use a circle calculator to find the actual dimensions (using your tank diameter) 

 

Here is one recommended on this forum:

http://www.1728.org/circsect.htm

 

Here is the one I use, I am a bit more of a math geek than normal folks:

http://planetcalc.com/1421/

 

Good Luck on your build, be sure to post your progress,

 

Tom aka RadioGuy

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwolford51 View Post

Getting ready to start on the RF Patio Version.  Currently, I have two tanks.  I have a 100# Propane tank that is 15.1"D x 46.6"L and possibly a 33 Gallon Air Compressor tank.  The basic plan is to build a RF unit out of the Propane tank.  I have a few questions before I make my final decision.

 

1.  Is a 15.1" Diameter enough to build a RF version Smoker? 

2.  The biggest issue I am having with the design of it is the Fire box to cook chamber.  How do you determine that amount of the half moon to connect to the firebox?

3.  What correlation does the firebox hole have with the Reverse flow hole? 

4.  I see many chimney's have a 90 degree elbow on them.  Thoughts about this?  Does it not restrict the airflow?

 

Any help would be great.  My plan is to start this build in a week.  I definately know what I want.  I want two racks hence why am am possibly leaning towards using the aircompresser tank as my main and the propan tank as my firebox. 

 

If the 100# tank is used  (Diameter = 15.1  Length = 46.6)

Cook Chamber size = 8230.73 cu in.   23,100 cu in (100 gal)
Recom. Firebox size=2743.58 cu in. (20# tank = 2033.98 cu in) (15”Hx15”Wx14”L=3150 cu in.)  7,700 cu in (33 gal)
Chimney Diameter = 4” = 8.10” L       3.5” = 16.38”L  (4" chimney 30.6" tall)
Firebox to Cook Chamber Opening = 8.01”  Half Moon  (61.5 sq in) (14.6" Chord w/5.7" Segment height)
Cook Chamber opening = greater than 8.01”

Above are the numbers for a 100 gallon tank and a 33 gallon firebox...  In my signature line are some calculators to help you out...

post #12 of 14

Dave unless I miss understood He's using a 100 pound LP tank.

post #13 of 14

I would go with the 33 gallon compressor tank if its in good shape. 41.5" long x 22.75 Diameter is a very nice size for a patio smoker. You will appriciate the extra inches in diameter .

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Sticks View Post

Dave unless I miss understood He's using a 100 pound LP tank.

 

Sticks.....   Thanks for noticing that error.....  I'm going  to attribute that error to "old age" and at times being dyslexic...   Is is a good thing members check each other.....    2thumbs.gif  ...... 

 

 

Dave

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Reverse Flow
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Smoker Builds › Reverse Flow › RF Patio Version Build and Questions