or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Best brisket cooking temperature
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best brisket cooking temperature

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

All,

I'm in Colorado and new to smoking after buying an electric MasterBuilt 40" with glass door last weekend.

Hickory Smoked Jerk Pork Loin, and Fajita Chicken Sausage came out fabulous, but after getting some disappointing results on 2# tri-tip, I need advice on best temperature to cook a brisket.

post #2 of 10

Hello and Welcome!  I see this is your first post here at SMF.  Would you mind popping over to Roll Call and let us give you a proper SMF Welcome?  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/133/roll-call

 

Here is a link from SMF that may help a little bit about briskets.  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/50979/basic-brisket-smoke

 

Kat

post #3 of 10

Gomez, welcome1.gif to the SMF. Hope you enjoy your time here and decide to call this home.

 

As for temp. for a Brisket , IMHO a temp of 225* average is a good target.Place your thermometer in the deepest part of the Point and cook to appox. 200*or 210*. The point should come off easily and the Flat will be at a perfect slicing temp.

 

Tri-Tip is somewhat different. A lot of our members take it to 165* IMT and slice for a beautiful Mid-Well done.145* for Rare.

 

A good thermometer is useful here and as suggested by a lot of us are the Thermoworks Thermopen (an instant read probe.) I and most here also have the Maverick 732 dual probe unit. This tracks the Smoker temp. (as most stock Therms. are not even close to correct) and also the IMT of your food. These and other equip. are advertized on the side of the page>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

As always , have fun and...

post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 

Thanks Kat,

 

I think I pinned address and will post some of my profile info on roll-call.

 

Rudy

post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgomez2691 View Post

Thanks Kat,

 

I think I pinned address and will post some of my profile info on roll-call.

 

Rudy

We are glad to have you here!

 

Kat

post #6 of 10

Man, you could open a can of worms here!  LOL

 

Different strokes for different folks.  225 is the tried and true, low and slow temp.  Just keep it between 225 and 240 and you won't be sorry!

 

However, there are many on our site that believe hot and fast is the answer for brisket and can give you great information on how this is done.

 

I smoke to an internal temperature of the meat so time is only approximate based on the weight of the meat and the temperature of the pit.

 

I would say that you could cook a 10# brisket at 275 - 285  in about 8 - 10 hours but if you go low and slow it will be more like 18 - 20 hours.  The good news is that you will have great brisket no matter what as long as you shoot for an IT of about 200.

 

Good Luck,


Bill

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgomez2691 View Post

All,

I'm in Colorado and new to smoking after buying an electric MasterBuilt 40" with glass door last weekend.

Hickory Smoked Jerk Pork Loin, and Fajita Chicken Sausage came out fabulous, but after getting some disappointing results on 2# tri-tip, I need advice on best temperature to cook a brisket.

 

 

Welcome Rg!!!

 

You can always check the Step by Steps in my signature, at the bottom of all my posts.

 

If I smoked what you're looking for, I did it in my MES 40. Should be right up your alley.

 

 

Bear

post #8 of 10
Sorry to here you didn't get a good smoke on your tri tip.Check out some of my posts on tri tip for some pointers.

For brisket I smoke mine at 265*. I use the toothpick probe method to check if its done. Around an IT of 190 I'll start probing. When the toothpick goes in without resistance it's done. Pull the brisket wrap in foil and towels and let rest for 45mins to a hour.
post #9 of 10
Gomez
Don't get too involved with time cooking, especially with brisket. Two same weight brisket at same temp can be different by a couple of hours. Get a maverick, especially with the mes 40, to verify your cooking and meat temps. The new generation of mes have become notorious for readings being way off. I've done brisket at 230 and at 265. Had good luck with both. Make sure the stall doesn't get you nervous and be patient with brisket getting to 200. And a minimum 1 to 2 hour rest while double wrapped is important. Brisket can be a beautiful thing when done right but practically inedible if done wrong. All the best to you.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by geerock View Post

Gomez
Don't get too involved with time cooking, especially with brisket. Two same weight brisket at same temp can be different by a couple of hours. Get a maverick, especially with the mes 40, to verify your cooking and meat temps. The new generation of mes have become notorious for readings being way off. I've done brisket at 230 and at 265. Had good luck with both. Make sure the stall doesn't get you nervous and be patient with brisket getting to 200. And a minimum 1 to 2 hour rest while double wrapped is important. Brisket can be a beautiful thing when done right but practically inedible if done wrong. All the best to you.

truer words could not have been spoken..lol. yahoo.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Best brisket cooking temperature