or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Small Spaces › Raised bed "Victory" garden at Stately Norman Manor (updated pics 6/6)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Raised bed "Victory" garden at Stately Norman Manor (updated pics 6/6) - Page 3

post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynN View Post

 

Has anyone used "vinegar" as a weed killer in the gardens?  Keep hearing about it.  Wondering about "death to the nut grass" in my garden.  Haven't done it...don't want to put too much acid in the ground.  

 

Kat

 

Bride just read and tried it...  didn't work... didn't kill the roots...  If  you want to get serious, get your diluted glyphosate, (roundup) and use a paint brush or paint roller to get to the weeds...  No over spray doing it that way.....  

Dave

post #42 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynN View Post

 

Has anyone used "vinegar" as a weed killer in the gardens?  Keep hearing about it.  Wondering about "death to the nut grass" in my garden.  Haven't done it...don't want to put too much acid in the ground.  

 

Kat

 

Bride just read and tried it...  didn't work... didn't kill the roots...  If  you want to get serious, get your diluted glyphosate, (roundup) and use a paint brush or paint roller to get to the weeds...  No over spray doing it that way.....  

Dave


Thanks DaveO....I do not want to upset the balance in the garden right now.  Things are growing too well to add an acid.  Think I will just keep hand ripping that dang stuff out.

 

Kat

post #43 of 49

Looks so good Kat. I am growing cukes for the first time. May I ask what version of pickles you do?

post #44 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post

Looks so good Kat. I am growing cukes for the first time. May I ask what version of pickles you do?


Disco...I haven't done any in years.  I do want to try some Fermented ones....we will see how many grow in the garden.  The type I am growing are the smaller ones for pickles.  Now...with that being said....I do want to make some dill too. Mr. T recommended a book for fermenting and I am going to ferment some kraut too.

 

Let's just hope they don't turn out like "Aunt Bee's" pickles from the Andy Griffith Show!  LOL

 

Kat

post #45 of 49

I've not used vinegar as a weed killer but just might start or at least try it. Got decent reviews on here http://www.greenideareviews.com/2012/04/04/killing-weeds-with-vinegar-review-does-it-work/ I have used it as a bug spray on some roses and it worked well.

post #46 of 49

 

Kat I'm pretty jealous, this is what our raised bed garden looks like right now... If it doesn't snow in November we might get to harvest something this year.

post #47 of 49
Thread Starter 

Oh no DS!  Come on down here and I will share!  biggrin.gif

 

Kat

post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynN View Post


Disco...I haven't done any in years.  I do want to try some Fermented ones....we will see how many grow in the garden.  The type I am growing are the smaller ones for pickles.  Now...with that being said....I do want to make some dill too. Mr. T recommended a book for fermenting and I am going to ferment some kraut too.

 

Let's just hope they don't turn out like "Aunt Bee's" pickles from the Andy Griffith Show!  LOL

 

Kat

I have a friend who does fermented pickles as well as several other preserved vegetables. They are really good. If you do try them, let us know how they turn out.

 

Disco

post #49 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynN View Post


Disco...I haven't done any in years.  I do want to try some Fermented ones....we will see how many grow in the garden.  The type I am growing are the smaller ones for pickles.  Now...with that being said....I do want to make some dill too. Mr. T recommended a book for fermenting and I am going to ferment some kraut too.

 

Let's just hope they don't turn out like "Aunt Bee's" pickles from the Andy Griffith Show!  LOL

 

Kat

I have a friend who does fermented pickles as well as several other preserved vegetables. They are really good. If you do try them, let us know how they turn out.

 

Disco


I surely will.  Going to use the cookbook that Mr. T has been telling us about.  It's the one with the Kraut stuff in it.

 

Kat

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Small Spaces
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Small Spaces › Raised bed "Victory" garden at Stately Norman Manor (updated pics 6/6)