or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Small Spaces › Raised bed "Victory" garden at Stately Norman Manor (updated pics 6/6)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Raised bed "Victory" garden at Stately Norman Manor (updated pics 6/6) - Page 2

post #21 of 49

Kat, great work on the garden.  I am jealous, my little patch is MUCH smaller.  A few tomato plants and a couple of Jalapeno plants.  O well!  I can dream big! 

 

icon14.gif

post #22 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post

Kat, great work on the garden.  I am jealous, my little patch is MUCH smaller.  A few tomato plants and a couple of Jalapeno plants.  O well!  I can dream big! 

 

icon14.gif

I thought this was going to be small...now there is not enough room for what I want to do.  I guess...Go Big or Go Home...Right!  LOL

 

Kat

post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynN View Post

I thought this was going to be small...now there is not enough room for what I want to do.  I guess...Go Big or Go Home...Right!  LOL

 

Kat

Kat we keep expanding our garden every year. We try and limit the beds to 2' wide to make it easier to tend. Learned that from square foot gardening techniques. My cousin is in a wheel chair and likes to garden. All his beds we made for him are 2' wide with 3' paths in between. 12" high. That way he can reach them all from his chair.  We found the smaller beds are easier on our bodies when tending them. Now if I only lived where it was warm!

post #24 of 49

It looks good Kat I used to have a friend that wrapped one of those snake light things around his neck and work in the garden at night

post #25 of 49

Looks good..Think I am going to pass this year on a Garden...I have a couple of friends with big gardens so I will mooch from them...

post #26 of 49

Lookin good there missy!  Steph and I put in a small raised garden this year and a few tomato plants in 5 gallon buckets (my father-in-law's idea).

 

We planted herbs in the raised garden, basil, thyme, rosemary, and parsley (flat leaf).  Thinking about adding some squash.

 

See ya,

 

Bill

post #27 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post

It looks good Kat I used to have a friend that wrapped one of those snake light things around his neck and work in the garden at night.

LOL.....Lynn has one of those!  Gives me an idea!

 

Dirt....great idea too!  Nice that he can still do something that he likes too!

 

Roller....I will let you mooch some maters! I even planted some Purple ones!

 

Bill....I have some herbs growing in some small containers!

 

Lynn and I got the green beans and the pencil cob corn planted tonight....and watered them down.  I will get a pic tomorrow of the pole bean tee-pees!  Going to do the strings when they start growing and needing the support.

 

Kat

post #28 of 49
Looking good ! Kat , what in the world is a cuke ? Lol never heard of that before . Maybe we call it something different .
post #29 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choupic View Post

Looking good ! Kat , what in the world is a cuke ? Lol never heard of that before . Maybe we call it something different .


LOL....thanks!  A cuke...is a cucumber.  That is what we call them around here....like 'maters and 'taters.

 

Kat

post #30 of 49

Very impressive garden. I love your selections of plants and they make me very jealous. Here, we can only grow short season tomatoes outside and peppers pretty well have to be done in a greenhouse.

 

I hope you do a post on making the hot sauce.

 

Disco

post #31 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post

Very impressive garden. I love your selections of plants and they make me very jealous. Here, we can only grow short season tomatoes outside and peppers pretty well have to be done in a greenhouse.

 

I hope you do a post on making the hot sauce.

 

Disco


Ohhhh Disco.....I have a Killer fresh salsa that I make.  It's fresh, chunky and everyone wants me to bring it for pot lucks.  My buds have told me to "can" it....but I like it done fresh that day.  We will see what I might do this year.  I think I posted the recipe in that part of the forum.  Will have to go check.  If not....I will post that one.  It's HOT! fire.gif

 

Kat

post #32 of 49
Thread Starter 

Disco...found it!

 

Here is the link for the Salsa....and yes I did win a Blue Ribbon on it!

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/123893/kats-blue-ribbon-fresh-salsa

 

Kat

post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynN View Post

Disco...found it!

 

Here is the link for the Salsa....and yes I did win a Blue Ribbon on it!

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/123893/kats-blue-ribbon-fresh-salsa

 

Kat

Thanks! I will have to give it a try. I also make a salsa with pears in it that is popular in these parts. I will post when I make it this fall. I do can it so your fresh recipe will make a great addition to the summer table.

 

Disco

post #34 of 49
Thread Starter 

Took some more pictures of what is Growing On at the Manor.  Things are looking great out there!

Craig...we have some hens and chicks too in the back yard!

My Green beans are sprouting

Baby squash!

Some baby 'maters

lots of baby 'maters

Cabbages are doing great

some of the yellow squash

another cabbage getting pretty

Some of the peppers are blooming

will have some nice peppers this year

cucumbers are showing little ones too

cant wait for pickles

How we are going to do the pole beans

Bigger part of the garden

Loads of hens and chicks....these date back from my Grandmother's bunch....about 50 years old...and they keep on growing.

 

Thanks for looking!

 

Kat

post #35 of 49
Thread Starter 

Oh the recipe for the Blue Ribbon Salsa....is one of my very own recipes out of my little head.  Anyone here on SMF may use it....and I hope they like it as much as my family does.

 

Kat

post #36 of 49
Nice garden kat. If my house was not for sale I would have one.
post #37 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael ark View Post

Nice garden kat. If my house was not for sale I would have one.


Understand your "pain" with that....have to keep the house and the yard...spit spot all the time.  Sucks too!

 

Cant wait for some things to grace the table from there this summer!

 

Kat

post #38 of 49
Thread Starter 

The Beans and Corn have Sprouted!!!!  yahoo.gif  We even have babies!  Everything is producing!

Here are some of the latest pics!

Baby yellow crook necks

my beans are about 3 inches tall

Baby jalaps!

Even the pencil cob corn has sprouted.  Was afraid it wouldn't!

Baby Anaheim

 

Has anyone used "vinegar" as a weed killer in the gardens?  Keep hearing about it.  Wondering about "death to the nut grass" in my garden.  Haven't done it...don't want to put too much acid in the ground.  

 

Kat

post #39 of 49

Looks good!

post #40 of 49

Looking good!!

 

Looks a whole lot different than it did a month ago!!

 

We redid our hens and chicks a few weeks ago..pics soon..

 

  Craig

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Small Spaces
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Small Spaces › Raised bed "Victory" garden at Stately Norman Manor (updated pics 6/6)