Hi Everyone, I just bought my first smoker and am extremely excited to make jerky for the first time. my smoker is very basic, vertical smoker with no vents, therefore limited temp control.
I have read many topics on this forum for the past few days and have decided to attack this jerky in the following manner:
1) Marinated the meat for 36 hrs in soy/worchester/various spices/etc
2) I am planning on running my smoker with no meat in it for a couple hrs too see if i can hold 150-170 degrees.(I will attemot to keep this low temp using the minion method starting with 15 coals.
3) If this is temp achieved and maintained, i will hang the meat on skewers vertically in the smoker (add wood chips to coal at this point).
4) This is the part i need help. Should I smoke with water in the pan?? Should I put water in the pan for a couple hours then remove???
5) I will check periodically and remove jerky when ready.