SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Making Jerky › Beef Jerky: Ten Pounds, Two Types (with Pics)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beef Jerky: Ten Pounds, Two Types (with Pics) - Page 6

post #101 of 117
Hi cougar 78. Jerky looks great. Going to try my 1st batch as soon as I get my cute. I have a chubby and am wondering if I should remove the water pan or use it. Thanks for the great post.

Shore smoker
post #102 of 117
Thread Starter 

Shore, since we're drying out the strips for the jerky, i'd pull the water pan. Slow dry heat works just fine!

Good luck and have fun!

Kevin

post #103 of 117

Dude this look off the hook. :Looks-Great::drool::banana_smiley: 

post #104 of 117

I just wanted to give Couger78 a thumbs up for the Teriyaki Jerky Marinade recipie.  I've got some finishing up on the MES and tried a few pieces.  Delicious.  I may have to hide this from the wife and kids if I want any of it to last.  

post #105 of 117
Hi I made your pepper jerky recipe but changed it a little bit. I used half the chyenne and sprinkled cookies flavor enhancer on the meat during the marinade process. I tell you what it turned out great and I can't wait to make another batch!
post #106 of 117
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
 

I just wanted to give Couger78 a thumbs up for the Teriyaki Jerky Marinade recipie.  I've got some finishing up on the MES and tried a few pieces.  Delicious.  I may have to hide this from the wife and kids if I want any of it to last.  

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Ya can't go wrong with good teriyaki jerky! Thumbs Up

post #107 of 117
Just made some more teriyaki. Started it out on the dehydrator and after three hours, moved it to the smoker. I've discovered that it easier getting it somewhat stiff first than hanging raw dripping meat in the smoker with toothpicks. Smoke for about three hours with hickory and what isn't done yet gets put back in the dehydrator. I also added some dry onion flakes. Everyone enjoys it.
3fc96144680883a222b987250c311e3d.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #108 of 117

Looks phenomenal!

post #109 of 117
How long should i leave on dehydrator? First time using it.
post #110 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy-Q View Post

How long should i leave on dehydrator? First time using it.

Until you get the texture you are looking for.

post #111 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHibbert View Post

Fine looking jerky,Kevin.  Finish looks great.  I'm not a terryaki fan, but the black pepper jerky wouldn't last long at my place.

Gary
I was looking for a ballpark time. I currently have it going for 5 hrs and doesn't look close. It's about 1/4" so figured about 8 to 10 hrs.
post #112 of 117

Curious why you decided to use cure#1 if your are smoking the jerky? I could see the need for cold smoking. 

post #113 of 117
Supposed to use when temperatures are below 200.
post #114 of 117
Nice looking jerky!

Cure - will also help with shelf life- though I doubt that's ever much of an issue. It adds a little "jerky". Color to the meat as well

Question: I'm learning how to do jerky- but been a BBQ pit smoker for a very long time. Why do you start without smoke? I've seen this mentioned in a few posts?

When smoking (BBQ) meats- always start with smoke and want surface a little moist (increases smoke ring and flavor). And never add smoke past meat reaching 145-155 degrees.

I'm looking for an explanation why these "rules" don't apply to jerky? Thank you!!
post #115 of 117
So I'm doing 4 lbs of top round today, would 150 be about right for the temp?
post #116 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post

So I'm doing 4 lbs of top round today, would 150 be about right for the temp?

150°-170° is fine. All depends on how long you want the process to take.

post #117 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg13 View Post

Nice looking jerky!

Cure - will also help with shelf life- though I doubt that's ever much of an issue. It adds a little "jerky". Color to the meat as well

Question: I'm learning how to do jerky- but been a BBQ pit smoker for a very long time. Why do you start without smoke? I've seen this mentioned in a few posts?

When smoking (BBQ) meats- always start with smoke and want surface a little moist (increases smoke ring and flavor). And never add smoke past meat reaching 145-155 degrees.

I'm looking for an explanation why these "rules" don't apply to jerky? Thank you!!


Because you want the Pellicle (Dry & Tacky) before putting the Smoke on Jerky, Fish, Bacon, etc, etc....

 

That stop adding Smoke after 145°-155° is not a rule. As many others, I keep the smoke on until I remove the meat.

 

 

Bear

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Making Jerky
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Making Jerky › Beef Jerky: Ten Pounds, Two Types (with Pics)