SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Propane Smokers › Need help sealing master built smoker door
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help sealing master built smoker door - Page 2

post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenClan View Post

MIne only has one latch but i sure would like to have one or two more "top and bottom" along with the one in the middle !!


Why?

 

so the smoker is better sealed with the XL the door is longer and just from heat the door does "bend" which in turn does leak no matter how much gasket i have on there.

post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenClan View Post


Why?

so the smoker is better sealed with the XL the door is longer and just from heat the door does "bend" which in turn does leak no matter how much gasket i have on there.

Gotcha!!!
post #23 of 37

I just got the Masterbuilt XL propane smoker. For those of you using the silicon smoke seal (migraine, LegacyOfBob, others?), how well is the adhesive holding up? It looks like it would be simpler than the RTV silicon approach. I plan to clean the area thoroughly with brake cleaner first.

 

Thanks!

post #24 of 37
I was wondering how well this seal was holding up as well. Any info on this would be appreciated. :-)


-Alli

Sent from my iPhone
post #25 of 37

My local HD doesn't carry the silicon sealer that Migraine recommended, so I tried this one instead (http://www.homedepot.ca/product/silicone-seal-tape-1-2inch-x-1-4inch-x20feet-black/864990).  I've smoked twice since installing it.  The first smoke actually melted the gasket, and gave the food a very overpowering (and disgusting) rubber smell and taste.  Before my second smoke, I tried to remove what was left of the gasket from the doors, but the smell and taste were still there (although not as bad, but still very strong).

 

Would something like this stove gasket (http://www.rona.ca/en/stove-gasket) be a suitable replacement?  Also, if anyone has any suggestions on how to get rid of the rubber stench and flavour, it would be greatly appreciated.  I'm very much a newbie when it comes to smoking, and I would hate to be turned off of it because of this.

post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulstad View Post
 

My local HD doesn't carry the silicon sealer that Migraine recommended, so I tried this one instead (http://www.homedepot.ca/product/silicone-seal-tape-1-2inch-x-1-4inch-x20feet-black/864990).  I've smoked twice since installing it.  The first smoke actually melted the gasket, and gave the food a very overpowering (and disgusting) rubber smell and taste.  Before my second smoke, I tried to remove what was left of the gasket from the doors, but the smell and taste were still there (although not as bad, but still very strong).

 

Would something like this stove gasket (http://www.rona.ca/en/stove-gasket) be a suitable replacement?  Also, if anyone has any suggestions on how to get rid of the rubber stench and flavour, it would be greatly appreciated.  I'm very much a newbie when it comes to smoking, and I would hate to be turned off of it because of this.

 

Have you tried BB Gaskets.com?

 

http://www.bbqgaskets.com/

 

The guy I spoke with there could not have been more helpful.  I ordered a fiberglass gasket for my FB door and for between the FB and CC. I attached the fiberglass gasket with RTV.  It worked great between the FB and CC.  The FB door still leaks so I called BBQ Gaskets back and ordered a new clamp.   I ordered Lavalock for the CC door.  I also ordered a replacement thermostat while I was at it.  They are very helpful and knowledgeable.  Try giving them a call. 631 476 7554.

 

I hope this helps.

post #27 of 37

Why has no one ever mentioned Neoprene weather stripping?  It is good for 500F...it is used to seal fire doors. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/industrial-strength-self-adhesive-neoprene-weatherstripping-closed-cell-tap/947899

post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulstad View Post
 

My local HD doesn't carry the silicon sealer that Migraine recommended, so I tried this one instead (http://www.homedepot.ca/product/silicone-seal-tape-1-2inch-x-1-4inch-x20feet-black/864990).  I've smoked twice since installing it.  The first smoke actually melted the gasket, and gave the food a very overpowering (and disgusting) rubber smell and taste.  Before my second smoke, I tried to remove what was left of the gasket from the doors, but the smell and taste were still there (although not as bad, but still very strong).

 

Would something like this stove gasket (http://www.rona.ca/en/stove-gasket) be a suitable replacement?  Also, if anyone has any suggestions on how to get rid of the rubber stench and flavour, it would be greatly appreciated.  I'm very much a newbie when it comes to smoking, and I would hate to be turned off of it because of this.


This is why you need to use food grade products especially if it could melt.  The stove gasket you mentioned is good because it won't melt.  I have it on mine now for a few years and it needs to be replaced. I guess I smoke too much.  My replacement will be the felt from bbqgaskets.com.

post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
 


This is why you need to use food grade products especially if it could melt.  The stove gasket you mentioned is good because it won't melt.  I have it on mine now for a few years and it needs to be replaced. I guess I smoke too much.  My replacement will be the felt from bbqgaskets.com.


I picked up lavallock for my CC and a fiberglass gasket with RTV for the FB and for where the FB meets the CC.  It all worked great.  I still have a small leak on the FB door.  I ordered a ne 90 degree latch from http://www.bbqgaskets.com/  .  I will post the results once I install it.  Just need a trip to HD.  http://www.bbqgaskets.com/  is great.  They reply to emails vary fast and are very friendly and helpful.   Give them a call if you can and talk to them directly.  You will probably get off the phone having ordered everything you need.  LOL

 

Good luck.

post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Sicc View Post
 

 

Have you tried BB Gaskets.com?

 

http://www.bbqgaskets.com/

 

The guy I spoke with there could not have been more helpful.  I ordered a fiberglass gasket for my FB door and for between the FB and CC. I attached the fiberglass gasket with RTV.  It worked great between the FB and CC.  The FB door still leaks so I called BBQ Gaskets back and ordered a new clamp.   I ordered Lavalock for the CC door.  I also ordered a replacement thermostat while I was at it.  They are very helpful and knowledgeable.  Try giving them a call. 631 476 7554.

 

I hope this helps.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by racyug View Post
 

Why has no one ever mentioned Neoprene weather stripping?  It is good for 500F...it is used to seal fire doors. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/industrial-strength-self-adhesive-neoprene-weatherstripping-closed-cell-tap/947899

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
 


This is why you need to use food grade products especially if it could melt.  The stove gasket you mentioned is good because it won't melt.  I have it on mine now for a few years and it needs to be replaced. I guess I smoke too much.  My replacement will be the felt from bbqgaskets.com.

 

Thank you all for these suggestions.  Being a babe-in-the-woods when it comes to smoking, I suppose this is something I should have researched further before tackling it on my own.

 

Now, if anyone has any suggestions on how to get rid of the rubber flavour in my smoking, that would be very much welcome.  I originally thought about using an oven cleaner and rinsing with soapy water, but then decided it would be better to check with the professionals here :icon_wink:

post #31 of 37
Crank up the heat..... burn it out.... then put on a high temp gasket.... you can pop rivet them in place and won't need sealant....

http://www.mcmaster.com/#tadpole-gaskets/=td4voj
post #32 of 37

Did anyone here find the " perfect" method to seal the doors? I just bought a used 2 door and I was reading all over the place different ways to do it.

I just bought the silicone seal from Home Depot, but noticed on BBQgaskets website they say to install their product on the door for best results for this model of smoker.

I don't care door side or body side - just want to do it which ever way works best.

post #33 of 37

Oops. Rookie mistake - didn't see the second page to this thread. Sorry.

BTW - before I put the gasket on mine....which method was the "best" for holding up?

post #34 of 37

Try using High temp sealer for the auto parts store its made for temps higher than your smoker will go.

post #35 of 37

I may be missing the point, but why is this even a thing to worry about? Smoke (and heat) will escape the box anyway. 

 

Please offer some explanations of why the door needs a seal.

post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by C45BR View Post
 

I may be missing the point, but why is this even a thing to worry about? Smoke (and heat) will escape the box anyway. 

 

Please offer some explanations of why the door needs a seal.

You want as much of the smoke and heat to escape thru the designed exhaust vent of your smoker when the door is closed.   Having it leak through the door, especially down towards the bottom is defeating the purpose.

post #37 of 37

Follow up...

 

About 2 1/2 years ago , I posted that I had bought a silicone seal from Home depot to seal the smoke from leaking around the door. 

As of today, I'm happy to say that the seal is intact, never melted, or given off a odor. 

I'm very happy with this analog smoker from MB once the mods were done....  Only thing that has ever failed is the temp probe for my PID that I ordered from EBAY(chinese) 

I also own a Traeger 075? for 1 1/2 years and I still prefer the analog MB smoker(not the MES one)with an AMZN pellet tray over the Traeger for smoke flavor.

I just did ribs last night on the Traeger and temps swings to 235 made cooking the SL ribs done sooner than wanted.  They needed a little more time to render the fat out.  My reasoning for using the traeger was pure lazyness(and a lumbar epidural in the A.M.)

-Brian

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Propane Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Propane Smokers › Need help sealing master built smoker door