or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Charcoal Smokers › Thinking of purchasing a Oklahoma Longhorn horizontal smoker
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking of purchasing a Oklahoma Longhorn horizontal smoker - Page 2

post #21 of 39

I was going to purchase a Lang but the shipping cost as much as the OK Joes smoker I purchased.  For the cost the OK Smoker is great. I also did several mods. See my photos for info. 

post #22 of 39

I have one and love it

 

the mods I have done are

 

1- tuning plates

2- charcoal basket

3- extend exhaust inlet to grate level with an aluminum dryer vent elbow

4- seal smoke chamber door, although I dont think that this is that important, mine did not leak much at all but I had some gasket material left over from another job

5- When assembling firebox, I used automotive exhaust pipe sealant between the upper and lower sections before bolting it together

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75

post #23 of 39
I like it!!! Nice mods.
post #24 of 39
Hey. BB. Dud you make the charcoal basket or purchase?
post #25 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrockchina View Post

I was going to purchase a Lang but the shipping cost as much as the OK Joes smoker I purchased.  For the cost the OK Smoker is great. I also did several mods. See my photos for info. 

Yea, I agree on the shipping.  That's the only reason why i ha vent ordered mines yet.  I have been trying to come up with a better shipping quote or pickup arrangements.  I feel the shipping is ridicules.

post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrockchina View Post

Hey. BB. Dud you make the charcoal basket or purchase?

thanks man

 

I made the basket

 

its real easy to do. Search the forums, lots of ideas how to make one

post #27 of 39
Cool. I'll check the sites. Thanks
post #28 of 39

Just my two cents, and I don't give it away easily cuz I am cheap...  I like the Old Country smoker at Academy and when I looked last month it seemed they had gotten a better grip on the quality control on the welds, so for the money (plus a good cover) you could have a very good smoker that will last longer than you think it will last while pocketing the difference for other "necessary" smoker things.  Don't kid yourself, you know you will have needs and not just wants. icon_biggrin.gif  As for the OK Longhorn, the only thing I didn't like was the fire box wasn't welded to the cooking chamber, but a quick stop at a muffler shop on the way home can solve that problem if you don't want to take it apart and use some sealant.  The one thing I did like was the smoke stack is open straight out the top end. Yes, I viewed that as a plus because a quick to stop by the heating dept for some SS vent pipe and a 90 degree elbow and you have nice reverse flow smoker and again that same muffler shop can make it permanent for a lot less than a Lang or Yoder.  Just my two cents...

 

Oh hell, I drool over the Horizon at Bass Pro every time I am in there, but the cost, plus shipping, and other "needs" keep me cheap.  

post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstalafuse View Post

Just my two cents, and I don't give it away easily cuz I am cheap...  I like the Old Country smoker at Academy and when I looked last month it seemed they had gotten a better grip on the quality control on the welds, so for the money (plus a good cover) you could have a very good smoker that will last longer than you think it will last while pocketing the difference for other "necessary" smoker things.  Don't kid yourself, you know you will have needs and not just wants. icon_biggrin.gif  As for the OK Longhorn, the only thing I didn't like was the fire box wasn't welded to the cooking chamber, but a quick stop at a muffler shop on the way home can solve that problem if you don't want to take it apart and use some sealant.  The one thing I did like was the smoke stack is open straight out the top end. Yes, I viewed that as a plus because a quick to stop by the heating dept for some SS vent pipe and a 90 degree elbow and you have nice reverse flow smoker and again that same muffler shop can make it permanent for a lot less than a Lang or Yoder.  Just my two cents...

 

Oh hell, I drool over the Horizon at Bass Pro every time I am in there, but the cost, plus shipping, and other "needs" keep me cheap.  

I have looked my OK Joe over very carefully and see no issues at all with the welds. In fact I think they look real nice and I know how to weld and own a gas and a mig welder.

 

As far as a welded on firebox, that doesnt bother me at all. At least I know the welds wont crack from repeated heat/cool cycles. I have dont probably 20 cooks on mine and there is no leakage between the firebox and cooking chamber. 

post #30 of 39

I love my Oklahoma Joe's.  I have three:  Traditon, Vertical Roasting Oven, and Longhorn.  

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_2588.JPG 3,156k .JPG file

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_2568.JPG 2,257k .JPG file
Edited by harris92 - 3/31/13 at 8:22am
post #31 of 39

I tend to search Craigslist for vintage Oklahoma Joe's.  It takes time but I have scored three times. Below is the Longhorn I purchased.  It is the oldest Joe I have seen to date (#4858). It smokes great and is a beast.

 

 

post #32 of 39

Oh, I have no problem with them.  In fact that was my point.  I don't believe the heavy metal is worth it for the 99.9% of us, when you can buy a less expensive one that will do everything you need. 

 

I have an OK Joe that I paid $25 buck for off of craigslist, rehabbed, and love it.  One of the differences between the Lang, Horizon, Yoder and OK Joe is the welded firebox, which, besides the heavier metal, is one of the cost differences.  If that is the deciding factor for you, save the difference and stop by the muffler shop and have them weld it for $50. I just don't see the value in paying an additional $1200 or more for one of the heavy metal ones when if you do the simple mods and take care of it, the less expensive on will work just as well.

post #33 of 39

I agree!!  If I planned to smoke every weekend then maybe move Ito a Lang or something but I'm guessing the Prime Rib I cooked today would have tasted the same:-). 

post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstalafuse View Post

Oh, I have no problem with them.  In fact that was my point.  I don't believe the heavy metal is worth it for the 99.9% of us, when you can buy a less expensive one that will do everything you need. 

 

I have an OK Joe that I paid $25 buck for off of craigslist, rehabbed, and love it.  One of the differences between the Lang, Horizon, Yoder and OK Joe is the welded firebox, which, besides the heavier metal, is one of the cost differences.  If that is the deciding factor for you, save the difference and stop by the muffler shop and have them weld it for $50. I just don't see the value in paying an additional $1200 or more for one of the heavy metal ones when if you do the simple mods and take care of it, the less expensive on will work just as well.

ok sorry I took that wrong

 

I could have bought a Lang or one of the others but just couldnt see it being worth it for me

post #35 of 39

No offense taken.  I probably didn't say it well.

 

I admit I long for one of the big heavies, but I also long for a Ferrari and SI swim suite model, which aren't in my future either.

 

If we just take better care of the good less expensive equipment, it will last just as long and allow for other of our smoker "needs".

 

Oh, I forgot to say, if the heavy metal is about the insulation, I use sand in the bottom of my OK Joe on the inside of cooking chamber and a cheap welding blanket over the top cooking chamber on the outside and those go a long way to solving that issue...  Again, both are  inexpensive solutions that save lots of dollars...

post #36 of 39

Amazing what folks are willing to give up on Craigslist.  I have a friend up in CO who found a Yoder Witchita at an estate sale for less than $500 that appeared to little if ever used.

post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstalafuse View Post

Amazing what folks are willing to give up on Craigslist.  I have a friend up in CO who found a Yoder Witchita at an estate sale for less than $500 that appeared to little if ever used.

wow thats great

 

Where I live, there is very little of the quality offset smokers on CL, except trailer types. I looked for must have been a year on and off, they were all junk, or the person did not reply

 

I got tired of it and bought my OK Joe from Lowes and am glad I did!

post #38 of 39



Anyone able to tell me what this is? I picked it up for $125 at a garage sale guys said it was an old Ok Joe? 13" diameter.
Heavy pit should cook well just curious of the model?
post #39 of 39

Another vote for an Old Country Pecos. I had an OKJ that got smashed by a tree, havent gotten to replace it yet, but when I do it will be an Old Country.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Charcoal Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Charcoal Smokers › Thinking of purchasing a Oklahoma Longhorn horizontal smoker