or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Groups › Michigan Members Group › Discussions › Michigan members group own map, Where are you in Michigan?

Michigan members group own map, Where are you in Michigan? - Page 7

post #121 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUICEMAN View Post


the douchebagness is only really bad on weekend "bar" nights. I really wish there was a true, good, neighborhood irish pub-style bar around here. though I haven't given the blarney stone a fair shake. I'm too old to be going to a "club", hate d-bs and pop music, would rather sit, chat over a pint or a whiskey or bourbon, maybe have a snack and call it good. used to go to the shamrock pub in Utica a lot before it had its fire and rebuild.

lockharts... I've had some pretty inconsistent food there, but its the best we have around here. sometimes I get pretty darn good food, other times it was mediocre, maybe just OK.

I've tried a few fatties... I'd definitely need to up my game.

Sounds like your Eastside, Clinton Township here, 3 blind mice in Mt clemens is a nice pub feel, with a great bourbon & scotch selection. I have yet to go to Johnny Blacks in Sterling Heights but have heard good things.
post #122 of 126

I thought the 2016 annual was going to be an east side plan????  Did I miss something?

 

I have zero smoked cheese left.  I will look for a proposed February date Humdinger.

post #123 of 126
I have no idea what's going on with any plans on the eastside except a cheese smoke that dinger has been talking about cam.

I'm having the fattie finals every year out here at my place. You missed that one last year cam. We had 17 fatties entered. Hoping to break 20 this year. However I won't be having two parties this summer. Just the fattie contest.

If the eastsiders have a summer party and I can make it I most certainly will. I'm trying to pin down a date now for the fattie finals.
post #124 of 126

I'm definitely going to try to make one/more of these... I'm first to say I'm not an expert, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes and I put out some ok 'que from time to time. at the very least, I enjoy parties and meetin' folks!

post #125 of 126
Msuiceman none of us are experts. Everyone gets together and learns from each other. That's what makes it fun. Even at the fattie contests it was fun. It's not cutthroat where everyone is secretive and won't help you. Your welcome to come to this years. I'll get s date pinned down and post it soon. It's looking like July 23rd right now.
post #126 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUICEMAN View Post
 

Bad Brad's is pretty tasty. I don't know if it was the Dragonmead and Kuehnenns talking, but I seem to recall lazybones being some decent bbq also. I am not in love with any of the Royal Oak area BBQ places....

I love Bad brads AND I live about 2 minutes away, which is dangerous when I'm running errands at lunchtime. Lazybones is very good too.  GREAT burnt ends and garlic potato wedges. We get it catered for our office Christmas party every year. I also go to Khunhenn's Brewery too. Love the Double-Rice IPA and Scotch ales.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrkstr View Post

Lockharts in royal oak is pretty good. But I can't get down the with the royal oak area at all. If it wasn't for lockharts I'd never go to Royal oak.

Dinger did I tell you we went to smokehouse 52? Cam raved about it so we went with a few couples and it was lights out! I highly recommend it. Plus they have bourbon flights.

I like Lockharts too. Been there about 5 times. The wife does not like it though so maybe it is a 50/50 kind of place. Royal Oak is ok in small doses, especially since Ferndale is now the new cool, hip place to be. (gag)

 

No I have not been to Smokehouse 52. Chelsea is a bit of a hike for me, but I'll put it on my list. My wife wants to go to Chicago sometime this summer so maybe we'll stop on our way?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUICEMAN View Post


the douchebagness is only really bad on weekend "bar" nights. I really wish there was a true, good, neighborhood irish pub-style bar around here. though I haven't given the blarney stone a fair shake. I'm too old to be going to a "club", hate d-bs and pop music, would rather sit, chat over a pint or a whiskey or bourbon, maybe have a snack and call it good. used to go to the shamrock pub in Utica a lot before it had its fire and rebuild.

Agreed about RO. I like O'Connor's Public House in downtown Rochester. Very authentic feel.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraysmokin View Post

Sounds like your Eastside, Clinton Township here, 3 blind mice in Mt clemens is a nice pub feel, with a great bourbon & scotch selection. I have yet to go to Johnny Blacks in Sterling Heights but have heard good things.

I haven't been to Mt. Clemens in a long time. Enjoyed some Feather bowling at Bath city bistro last time. The Johnny Blacks on Auburn road in Rochester Hills is awesome. With all the TV's, it's more Sports bar than pub, but the wait staff is the best looking in the metro area. I've heard from a co worker that the new Sterling Heights location is the same!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfishcam View Post
 

I thought the 2016 annual was going to be an east side plan???? Did I miss something?

I have zero smoked cheese left.  I will look for a proposed February date Humdinger.

I'd be interested in hosting a summer gathering this year, but I don't really have the sprawling set up you Fowlervillers have. My back yard is excellent for entertaining so if it was a group of 20-30 people just for the day, that would be ok, but I live in a subdivision so campers and trailers will not work. Last summer I looked into some public places but didn't find anything. I'll do some more brainstorming and digging and see what I can muster.

 

As for the cheese gathering; I won't be available until the last weekend in Feb. or into March, so if that works for you guys let me know and I'll get the ball rolling with my better half and get back to you with a firm date.

 

   Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbillyrkstr View Post
I'm having the fattie finals every year out here at my place. You missed that one last year cam. We had 17 fatties entered. Hoping to break 20 this year. However I won't be having two parties this summer. Just the fattie contest.

If the eastsiders have a summer party and I can make it I most certainly will. I'm trying to pin down a date now for the fattie finals.

That works for me. If we can't do an east side gathering this summer, at least we have the fatty contest.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUICEMAN View Post
 

I'm definitely going to try to make one/more of these... I'm first to say I'm not an expert, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes and I put out some ok 'que from time to time. at the very least, I enjoy parties and meetin' folks!

Once you come to one you'll get the hang of how we do it. It's less of a competition and more of an expo or showcase. Everyone brings their smoker, gear, equipment, tactics and techniques, then we compare and contrast how we do things. We even use each others smokers if needed. It's an excellent exchange of ideas that results in good food at the end. Oh,... and lots of beer consumed!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrkstr View Post

I'll get s date pinned down and post it soon. It's looking like July 23rd right now.

I'll pencil in the date now. Thanks Scott.

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Michigan Members Group
SmokingMeatForums.com › Groups › Michigan Members Group › Discussions › Michigan members group own map, Where are you in Michigan?