SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Cold Smoking › Other › Emergency Cold Smoking Pork Chops Question -- Please respond ASAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Emergency Cold Smoking Pork Chops Question -- Please respond ASAP

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Apologies for the urgent title, but I'm in a quandry.

 

Had planned to hot smoke some brined pork chops today using a brand new Smokin Tex 1400. Unfortunately, it is pissing rain outside so can't use the electric smoker outside, and the husband won't let me smoke inside the garage (even with the doors open).

 

As an alternative plan, decided to cold smoke the pork chops for 2 hours using the (also brand new) AMNS then finish on the grill. However, just had the horrifying realization that I didn't bother to include Cure #1 in my brine (because I had planned to hot smoke).

 

So my question....it is about 41 degrees outside. Can I get away with cold smoking pork chops for 1 or 2 hours without having used Cure #1?

 

Greatly appreciate your help. Thank you SMF folks.

post #2 of 14

Sure you can.... Just get them to the magic temp of 140 within 4 hours...  The grill should get them there, or the broiler, or even the frying pan....  They will have smoke and a nice char to boot....   Dave

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

Sure you can.... Just get them to the magic temp of 140 within 4 hours...  The grill should get them there, or the broiler, or even the frying pan....  They will have smoke and a nice char to boot....   Dave

 

Dave, you are a gold mine of information. Thanks again for taking the time to help out a smoking newbie. Much appreciated!

post #4 of 14

I think the bigger problem is why your husband will not allow you to smoke! 

1000

post #5 of 14

Not a problem at 41*F you could go an hour or so longer if you want more smoke. So it is OK to Grill in the Garage but not smoke with an electric smoker that is safer than your Gas Oven or Stove???...JJ

post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post

Not a problem at 41*F you could go an hour or so longer if you want more smoke. So it is OK to Grill in the Garage but not smoke with an electric smoker that is safer than your Gas Oven or Stove???...JJ

 

The grill is a stainless steel Weber propane, so it should be OK out in the rain and I plan to use the AMNS in this too. I guess the issue with using the smoker in the garage is getting too much smoke in the house?  Since I've got no experience at this, I can't launch a good counter-argument.  But I do plan to bring the husband around to letting me smoke in the garage eventually......I'll just wear him down, like we wives are good at doing. ;-)

 

Thanks for the reassurance on the time & temp, Chef JimmyJ !

post #7 of 14

Just a quick thought, even though the outside air is 41*F you will need to watch the temp of the smoke chamber to ensure that the temp doesn't rise too much. The other day when I was smoking and it was 32*F the internal temp of my smoke chamber creeped up to 41*F just from the AMNTS smoking away in there. I made a separate smoke box for my GOSM to use when cold smoking in warmer weather and it keeps the temps down lower. When I lived at the Coast we did all our smoking and grilling in the garage, big door open of course. Never would have been able to if we didn't! Let us know how the pork chops turn out and show us some Q-VIEW!

post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamirick View Post

I think the bigger problem is why your husband will not allow you to smoke! 

1000

Miamirick,

Ha!  Yes.  I told my husband that forum opinion was against him on this.  I'm sure he'll come around to letting me smoke in the garage.   Thanks for the solidarity and laugh!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Just a quick thought, even though the outside air is 41*F you will need to watch the temp of the smoke chamber to ensure that the temp doesn't rise too much. The other day when I was smoking and it was 32*F the internal temp of my smoke chamber creeped up to 41*F just from the AMNTS smoking away in there. I made a separate smoke box for my GOSM to use when cold smoking in warmer weather and it keeps the temps down lower. When I lived at the Coast we did all our smoking and grilling in the garage, big door open of course. Never would have been able to if we didn't! Let us know how the pork chops turn out and show us some Q-VIEW!

 

Hey dirtsailor,

Thanks for your thoughts. I bought a Maverick ET-732, so will monitor the smoke chamber temp as you suggest.  I am definitely going to tell my husband about your Coast smoking and grilling experience, and push for smoking at the front of the garage with the door open.  Yesterday's pork chops turned out well but the smoke flavor was pretty subtle. I guess that isn't too surprising considering that it was raining and with a 20 to 30 mph wind, and I must've relit the AMNS about 10 times.  I bet you got some of that lovely weather last night too. I'm going to smoke something again on Thursday and will take pictures this time.  Thank you for the advice, and also for the advice on the cold smoking bacon from the other thread.  I'm planning to cold smoke bacon using your 20 hours in 3 days approach between Christmas and New Year's. I'm starting the belly cure on Thursday.

post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkelingGirl View Post

Miamirick,

Ha!  Yes.  I told my husband that forum opinion was against him on this.  I'm sure he'll come around to letting me smoke in the garage.   Thanks for the solidarity and laugh!

 

 

Hey dirtsailor,

Thanks for your thoughts. I bought a Maverick ET-732, so will monitor the smoke chamber temp as you suggest.  I am definitely going to tell my husband about your Coast smoking and grilling experience, and push for smoking at the front of the garage with the door open.  Yesterday's pork chops turned out well but the smoke flavor was pretty subtle. I guess that isn't too surprising considering that it was raining and with a 20 to 30 mph wind, and I must've relit the AMNS about 10 times.  I bet you got some of that lovely weather last night too. I'm going to smoke something again on Thursday and will take pictures this time.  Thank you for the advice, and also for the advice on the cold smoking bacon from the other thread.  I'm planning to cold smoke bacon using your 20 hours in 3 days approach between Christmas and New Year's. I'm starting the belly cure on Thursday.

We got the sideways rain, and the 30mph wind. Then the rain froze and then it snowed on top of that. Made for an enjoyable commute this morning!

Good luck with your Bacon. Remember to let it mellow out a few days before slicing and packing. Since your ambient temp is a bit warmer there you may get better color and texture faster. I'd start looking at it after hour 16. My smoke temps ranged from 43* down to 38* in the smoke chamber.

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkelingGirl View Post

 

The grill is a stainless steel Weber propane, so it should be OK out in the rain and I plan to use the AMNS in this too. I guess the issue with using the smoker in the garage is getting too much smoke in the house?  Since I've got no experience at this, I can't launch a good counter-argument.  But I do plan to bring the husband around to letting me smoke in the garage eventually......I'll just wear him down, like we wives are good at doing. ;-)

 

Thanks for the reassurance on the time & temp, Chef JimmyJ !

My MES 30 is always in the garage

 

700

 

I always have the garage door open when it is in use.  As you can see in the photo it has rained and my smoker is out of harms way.  Our bedroom is directly above the garage and I have never smelled any smoke there and the smoke smell in the garage (which I think is better than most candles on the market) usually disapates in a day or two.  Keep working on him hit.gif and he will come around.  Good luck on the chops, let us know how they turn out.

post #11 of 14

I did BBB in my MES the other day in my garage with the door open. Smoked for about 4 hours using the AMNPS with the smoker at 200. Most of the smoke went right out the door. After the smoking was done I left the garage open while the smoker cooled down to air it out. By the time the smoker was cool there wasn't much smoke smell. Just limit opening of the smoker door while it is smoking, only put the amount of pellets you think you need. If your garage is attached to the house use the front door to go check on your smoker.  Oh, and I set the smoker up right inside the door. Most wood stoves or fireplaces will put more smoke in your house than your smoker in the garage!

Clay

post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 

Hi Toby and Red Dog,

 

Thank you both for your very helpful and practical advice. I had a break in the weather today so was able to do the initial 4 hour seasoning on my new ST1400.  I've got a rack of pork spare ribs in the refrigerator thawing out and am now prepared to do my first hot smoking on Thursday using the 3-2-1 method.  It is forecasted again for rain and wind, but I'll follow your leads and plan to smoke at the door of the garage with confidence!  Thanks again for the advice and moral support!

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnorkelingGirl View Post
  It is forecasted again for rain and wind

For the next three months!!!! I sure do like the dryer side of Oregon! Course it's only 17* right now!!!

post #14 of 14

Ironically I ran into a similar problem this morning.  My plan was to cold smoke some CSR's with my AMNPS for a half hour then finish them of in a crock pot.  Unfortunately it was snowing so hard I didn't want to go out.  So I made up a batch of Jeff's Rib Rub and put them in the slow cooker with some onions and beer.  I have since been giving them a few shots of smoke from time to time with my handheld smoker.  The aroma so far is wonderful.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Cold Smoking › Other › Emergency Cold Smoking Pork Chops Question -- Please respond ASAP