or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › New Gen MES 40 w/AMNPS Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Gen MES 40 w/AMNPS Questions

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hi all, I just got my first ever smoker, a MES 40.  I used this site as the basis for the purchase. I know there a ton of first time questions so I'm sorry to add another, but I have spent many hours searching and cannot find exactly what I'm asking.
 
1. Location of AMNPS with "new gen" 40.  Does anyone have a picture of exactly where to put it?  I'm guessing under the water tray?  If I locate it there, I'm assuming there is no reason for a foil tent?
 
2. Water or no?  I have read a many people say that water is essential, however, Step 8 of the AMNPS instructions dictate no water.
 
3. Cover.  I would like to leave the smoker on my back porch next to the grill.  Living in northern Iowa there will be many weather changes.  Can anyone recommend a good weather-proof cover that will fit the new gen MES 40?  I did see this in a thread: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/123644/new-cover-for-mes-40.
 
Thanks in advance!
 
Todd
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalshadow View Post

Hi all, I just got my first ever smoker, a MES 40.  I used this site as the basis for the purchase. I know there a ton of first time questions so I'm sorry to add another, but I have spent many hours searching and cannot find exactly what I'm asking.
 
1. Location of AMNPS with "new gen" 40.  Does anyone have a picture of exactly where to put it?  I'm guessing under the water tray?  If I locate it there, I'm assuming there is no reason for a foil tent? You are correct on placement and no need for a tent.
 
2. Water or no?  I have read a many people say that water is essential, however, Step 8 of the AMNPS instructions dictate no water. I usually don't use water, but I do place playground sand in the water pan, about 3/4 full. Sometimes if I want the added moisture, I'll add a few cups of water or a water/juice mix to a disposable aluminum pan I've placed under the meat to catch drippings but not refill once evaporated. I highly recommend covering the drip diverter and bottom drip pan with heavy-duty foil for easy clean-up.
 
3. Cover.  I would like to leave the smoker on my back porch next to the grill.  Living in northern Iowa there will be many weather changes.  Can anyone recommend a good weather-proof cover that will fit the new gen MES 40?  I did see this in a thread: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/123644/new-cover-for-mes-40. Couldn't advise on this as my weather conditions are a LOT different than yours. I keep mine inside. After all, it is an electrical appliance. I did however view the link to the cover you reference and it does look very sturdy with several great reviews.
 
Thanks in advance!
 
Todd

Congrats on the new MES and welcome1.gif to SMF. Please drop by Roll Call so the members can give you a proper welcome. Also, if you would, please update your location in your profile so we'll better be able to assist you if you have any questions. Here's a pic of AMNPS location in my 2nd gen.

 

700

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 

RC, thank you for this information and welcome!  Just curious, what is the purpose of the sand?

post #4 of 10

The sand gives thermal mass and when heated will smooth out the temps swings in the chamber..believe it or not...really works.

post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 

Awesome, time to go raid the son's sandbox!

post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalshadow View Post

Awesome, time to go raid the son's sandbox!

You're more than welcome, Todd. Sound1 is spot on. BTW, I wouldn't raid the kiddies sandbox. Don't know what contaminants or organic material might be in there. Playground sand is about $3 for a 40 lb. bag at Lowes or Home Depot and will last a long time, longer if you place foil over the top as some here do. Just sayin'...

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill Cafe View Post

You're more than welcome, Todd. Sound1 is spot on. BTW, I wouldn't raid the kiddies sandbox. Don't know what contaminants or organic material might be in there. Playground sand is about $3 for a 40 lb. bag at Lowes or Home Depot and will last a long time, longer if you place foil over the top as some here do. Just sayin'...

Nice way of putting it..rolleyes.gif.. kitty litter?? 

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound1 View Post

Nice way of putting it..rolleyes.gif.. kitty litter?? 

Ya never knowww. I don't think THAT smoked flavor profile would go over too well. th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 

You know what they say, the only good cat is a dead cat! j/k not trying to start a pet war here!

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalshadow View Post

You know what they say, the only good cat is a dead cat! j/k not trying to start a pet war here!

Smoked? ROTF.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Electric Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › New Gen MES 40 w/AMNPS Questions