LOL...they live just a couple hours from me! Well, maybe three hours. I might take a ride this weekend.....
- categorySaucestagged by PGSmoker64, 9/27/13
Related Forum Threads
- Maple Glazed Pork Ribs, Apologies to the Traditionalists Last post on 10/6/13 at 8:32am in Pork
- Homemade Chipotle Pepper Sauce Last post on 9/11/16 at 8:09am in Veggies
- Today's smoke - Pork loin with homemade wine peppercorn sauce Last post on 5/18/14 at 4:53pm in Pork
- 2 Chuckies...Simple Beginnings, Dry Smoke Chamber- Cherry/Balsamic Finishing Sauce: Q-View Last post on 12/11/12 at 4:39pm in Beef
- favorite types of wood Last post on Yesterday at 1:48 pm in General Discussion
Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And Process
Last edited: 9/22/12
- Finishing Sauce For Brisket By Ranger72Last edited: 4/28/11
- Finishing Sauce For Pulled Pork By SoflaquerLast edited: 10/18/11
- Habanero Bbq SauceLast edited: 4/27/11
- Agave And Ancho Chili Powder Bbq Sauce RecipeLast edited: 4/27/11
I had been looking to get a smoker and was researching a few different models. My hand was forced when my grill quit working, so I ended up getting this rather quickly as a result. My rationale...
I took this back after 2 weeks. A part needed to be replaced and they sent it to me for ME to install and change out. That job is not mine for something I paid over a grande for. They finally got a...
Purchased one of these instead of buying a Yoder Smoker Wichita. Was reluctant because of the negative reviews but the price was right for $380, verses the Yoder for $1600. Once purchased I used...
Have owned this smoker for 2 weeks now. Smoked on it 5 times and every time everything on it turned out great. I have had experience smoking on some like it. So no learning curve at all for it....
This is a good smoker for the beginner who does not want to get to involved with staying up all night monitoring temp/coals. Just fill the hopper and set the temp, when it is warmed up toss in your...
PGSmoker's Best Damn Sauce Ever (BDSE) - Page 5post #81 of 932/15/13 at 7:00pmThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #82 of 932/17/13 at 5:35pmpost #83 of 932/17/13 at 6:11pmpost #84 of 933/9/13 at 2:59pmThread StarterQuote:
Hey Wes...the sauce just ain't the same without the Makers Mark!post #85 of 933/9/13 at 6:48pmpost #86 of 933/27/14 at 1:58pm
Thank you for sharing your family's recipes, Bill...and thanks for your advice on my Pork Loin Back Ribs (which are in the foil-wrapped stage of your recommended steps right now). I wish I had found this before, but I have a recipe for sweet Texas-style sauce that my husband loves, and I just made a big batch. Next time I'll try the BDSE recipe out on him! :)
Katiepost #87 of 932/17/15 at 4:46am
Made your BBQ sauce last night for use this weekend. It is awesome. MM wasn't in the budget, so I went with some JB I had on hand. Next time perhaps. Thanks for sharing such an heirloom.post #88 of 936/25/15 at 9:27ampost #89 of 937/8/15 at 12:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by PGSmoker64
I joined this site several years ago as an experienced but curious BBQ guy. I smoked a lot of meat before joining but much more since joining.
I have a couple of outstanding sauce recipes that I have held close to the breast for sentimental reasons but after learning so much from my friends here at SMF, I decided it was time to put all my cards on the table.
This first recipe is an Eastern Carolina style BBQ Sauce - known as Dip around Lexington, NC from where my family hails. This is a recipe that has been in my family for over a century, so you can understand why I was reluctant to reveal it, even though I'm sure others have something similar - this one will make your pork butts come alive!!!!!
3 Quarts of Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup Ketchup (Catsup)
5 oz. Worsty sauce
10 oz. French's yellow mustard
3/4 cup salt (I use sea salt but regular iodized is fine) - I also usually cut back on the salt
1/4 cup fresh ground black pepper
1/2 oz crushed red pepper
4 oz of your favorite hot sauce (I cut back on the red pepper and hot sauce depending on the audience and it doesn't affect flavor)
Mix all ingredients in a large pot and bring it to a boil. Once it boils it is ready for use as a mop or for canning.
Makes about 1 gallon, which is enough to mop a 70 pound pig.
I can it using the hot water bath method if necessary. This is a fantastic and tasty finishing sauce for minced or pulled pork. My relatives in Lexington, NC swear that my BBQ is better than anything they can buy in the self appointed capital of Southern BBQ!!!!
And here is my special sauce recipe that friends, family, acquaintances, and strangers who have tasted it tell me I can sell.
Bill's BDSE Sauce
Makes about 2 quarts of sauce - I always double or quadruple the recipe. The sauce can be canned using the water bath method and keeps for months.
2 cups Ketchup - I use Heinz because it's SLOW GOOD
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1-1/2 tsp granulated onion or onion powder
1-1/2 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder - I always use the granulated!!!!
1-1/2 tsp dry mustard
Juice and zest from 1 lemon - do NOT substitute prepackaged lemon juice - about 2 tbs of juice
2 TBS Worsty Sauce (Worcestershire for the purists)
1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 TBS light corn syrup
1 TBS molasses
2 TBS of your favorite bbq rub minus the salt
2/3 cup of water
1/3 cup of Makers Mark Whiskey
Mix all ingredients in a pot and cook over low heat for 2 hours. Use immediately. Refrigerate leftovers - keeps about a month or two, or can using the water bath method. You can also dress up competition ribs by adding a little honey for shine prior to application.
I tried making my sauce using a different rub base than what I normally use and it didn't quite taste the same, so to make sure your sauce comes out as good as mine here is the "spice mix" I use...
8 ounces of Paprika
4 ounces of white sugar
2 tablespoons of granulated onion
2 tablespoons of granulated garlic
When I add the rub mix I use a big tablespoon from the silverware drawer and add it by the heaping spoonfuls!
It took me several months of trying to dial in this recipe and it comes out perfect every time.
It might seem to you that there is too much sweet, but believe me this sauce is the perfect balance of flavors. Please try it and let me know what you think.
I can't make enough of it, so it must be good. I use it on everything.
Like I said - Best Damn Sauce Ever - Bill's BDSE (Betsie) Sauce.
So are the items in blue what you use for "your favorite rub mix"? Stupid question i know...just want to make sure its the same as yours.post #90 of 932/21/16 at 4:50ampost #91 of 936/25/16 at 2:16pmpost #92 of 938/20/16 at 8:20pmHad a pork shoulder in the smoker today and ran across this thread. Perfect time to give this recipe a shot. I halved the recipe and had plenty of time to mix and heat as suggested. What more can be said other than this is a great sauce. The whole family used it generously on abnormally large pulled pork sandwiches and thoroughly enjoyed the meal. I still have 1/2 pint left so I'm in good shape for tomorrow.
Thank you for sharing. Great addition to the culinary arsenal...
Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalkpost #93 of 9310/14/16 at 2:10pmThread StarterQuote:Glad you enjoyed it!!!Originally Posted by fastback
Had a pork shoulder in the smoker today and ran across this thread. Perfect time to give this recipe a shot. I halved the recipe and had plenty of time to mix and heat as suggested. What more can be said other than this is a great sauce. The whole family used it generously on abnormally large pulled pork sandwiches and thoroughly enjoyed the meal. I still have 1/2 pint left so I'm in good shape for tomorrow.
Thank you for sharing. Great addition to the culinary arsenal...
Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
- PGSmoker's Best Damn Sauce Ever (BDSE)
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Finishing Sauce For Brisket By Ranger72
- › GMG Jim Bowie 1st Butt Smoke Qview 36 minutes ago
- › Seafood Sausage Help? 56 minutes ago
- › What happens when the brine turns the outside of the pork butt... 1 hour, 22 minutes ago
- › Quick Butts 1 hour, 35 minutes ago
- › Lavatools Javelin- 25% off at Amazon 1 hour, 45 minutes ago
- › Ground beef jerkey 1 hour, 47 minutes ago
- › Brats and Kraut! 1 hour, 55 minutes ago
- › What size skillet do you use in your masterbuilt XL mod? 1 hour, 59 minutes ago
- › Sauerkraut 2 hours, 18 minutes ago
- › Vegetarian Pulled Pork 2 hours, 24 minutes ago
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN TRIPLE (3) BURNER by wbf610
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by ammaturesmoker
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by Joseph Varaksa
- › Smokin-it model 3 by smokin-pete
- › Camp Chef Camp Chef Pellet Grill & Smoker Deluxe by CHRISTOPH
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by PhillipLeondria
- › Masterbuilt Dual-fuel Pro by StillAqua
- › Smoke Hollow 44241G2 44-Inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker by kentluman
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by jjcreole
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by tjdcorona