So I have been smoking meat for a little over 2 years now. Still use the first smoker I ever bought, Master Forge propane two-door vertical smoker (with a gasket mod for insulation).
The good news: My smoked meat has become incredibly popular in my social world and neighborhood.
The bad news: My smoker is no where near the capacity to meet demand.
So what am I looking for:
- If you have owned a Master Forge, you know insulation seems to be your greatest enemy with that smoker. Obviously something that came out of the box with a bit more insulation and less worry about smoke loss, would be golden (from what I read on reviews, it seems everything needs some modifications for insulation)
- Fuel type? I love using propane, its a lot less "head-achy" as using charcoal/wood, however I want to step up to competitive BBQ at some point, so I need to get off the propane bandwagon at some point....
- Smoker build? I'm use to vertical, but obviously you get more space with horizontal so that is what I am looking for
- How much space? I'd like to do 6 to 8 butts at the same time. It would be nice finally to have a smoker big enough to start doing brisket...
- Price range? Anything under 500 bucks would be great. If not let me know anyway.
I appreciate any suggestions you guys can throw out there. It would be great to hear from former Master Forge owners to see what they moved onto....