or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Sausage From Rytek Kutas Book
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sausage From Rytek Kutas Book

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Made fresh Apple and Cinnamon sausage and Beer sausage ( smoked polish sausage) both recipes from Ryek Kutas  book. Ground up 3 pork butts the night before and mixed up the Beer sausage.

 

Here is the beer sausage, I forgot to put the Cayenne pepper in the night before, it's on the other page of the book, mixed it up before stuffing. 5 pound batch.

IMG_20120407_082509.jpg

Apple and Cinnamon stuffed and linked

IMG_20120407_101202.jpg

Beer Sausage in the smoker drying.

IMG_20120407_101242.jpg

Internal temperature 154. Time to spray down with water.

IMG_20120407_170604.jpg

After about an hour bloom.

IMG_20120407_171816.jpg

 

Did fry test of both the apple cinnamon and beer sausage. Apple was very good as was the beer. One problem I had was after mixing the beer sausage the night before it was very stiff and I had a heck of a time stuffing the next morning, couldn't hardly crank the stuffer. What could I do different next time? Will be grilling some of the apple and cinnamon this afternoon with the wife's family. The beer sausage will be simmered in beer and tried later, I did cut off a piece and ate it cold, not too bad though not as spicy as i would have liked, mat be different when simmered in beer.

Thanks for looking

 

 

 

post #2 of 15
Looks good!!!

Addressing the stuffing problem, stuff immediately after mixing, before the the mixture starts to firm up.


~Martin
post #3 of 15
I'm with DDF, I mix stuff then refrig overnight.

Apple and cinnamon sounds good, You must have a newer edition of Mr Kutas's book as it's not in my copy.
They good great, let us know what ya think after ya grill them.
post #4 of 15

Generally I mix the cure and salt with the cubed meat and allow to rest in the fridge for 72 hours to allow the cure to do it's job.  After the cure period I grind, add the seasonings and water then stuff.  Back into the fridge for 24 hours or so, dry and then smoke.  I have noticed with just about every sausage I do the seasonings take a couple of days to really present themselves.  I wait until after this "come together time" to decide if the recipe needs to be adjusted.

 

Everytning looks great,  thanks for the Qview

post #5 of 15

Add a small amount of cold water to the meat to soften it up for stuffing . Make sure you add small amounts because if you add too much it will evaporate in the casing while cooking and the sausage will shrivel

 

Joe

post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingDogFarm View Post

Looks good!!!
Addressing the stuffing problem, stuff immediately after mixing, before the the mixture starts to firm up.
~Martin


Will the cure work doing it like that? Thought that you had to mix and let set at least overnight, but in a pan or in the casing same thing maybe?

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMcG View Post

I'm with DDF, I mix stuff then refrig overnight.
Apple and cinnamon sounds good, You must have a newer edition of Mr Kutas's book as it's not in my copy.
They good great, let us know what ya think after ya grill them.


I've got the 4th edition, page 171.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by alblancher View Post

Generally I mix the cure and salt with the cubed meat and allow to rest in the fridge for 72 hours to allow the cure to do it's job.  After the cure period I grind, add the seasonings and water then stuff.  Back into the fridge for 24 hours or so, dry and then smoke.  I have noticed with just about every sausage I do the seasonings take a couple of days to really present themselves.  I wait until after this "come together time" to decide if the recipe needs to be adjusted.

 

Everytning looks great,  thanks for the Qview


I like your idea, my question will that work as I cut my meat in pretty big pieces (strips) as I have a rather big grinder?

 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by boykjo View Post

Add a small amount of cold water to the meat to soften it up for stuffing . Make sure you add small amounts because if you add too much it will evaporate in the casing while cooking and the sausage will shrivel

 

Joe


I will try that Joe.

 

Thanks for all the help guy's.

 

post #7 of 15
When I make kielbasa and the like, I stir in all the ingredients just until well combined.
I let it cure in the fridge overnight or longer if required, then I pour on a little water and give it all a serious mix until sticky.
Stuff immediately after mixing.


~Martin
post #8 of 15

MarkK

 

Use your best judgement   The recipes I use say 2 inch x 2 inch cubes.  I doubt you are making 2 inch thick strips. 

post #9 of 15

Cold temps mute the flavor of Meat and Cheese. So the sausage will have a more bold taste when heated. In the future if you make sausage or meatloaf that will be eaten cold add additional Salt and Spices. This is a common Cheffie trick when we do Charcuterie...JJ

post #10 of 15

Nice sausage.

 

Tip

 

Use some kosher salt. You will need to adjust the kosher amount from the table salt. IE: Table salt smaller granules. Kosher larger granules.

post #11 of 15

Looks great and stuffing after mixing then in the fridge will work better.

post #12 of 15

As Nepas says. Use a fine grind kosher salt, or sea salt. Table salt typically has additives in the mix.

 

Looking at my box I see salt, calcium silicate, sugar, potassium iodide.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepas View Post

Nice sausage.

 

Tip

 

Use some kosher salt. You will need to adjust the kosher amount from the table salt. IE: Table salt smaller granules. Kosher larger granules.



 

post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 

Everyone thanks for the tips. I will use them when I make my next batch of smoked sausage. The more I ate of my first batch the better I liked it. I will open a package and warm it up soon and see how it tastes.

Thanks again,

Mark

post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkK View Post


Will the cure work doing it like that? Thought that you had to mix and let set at least overnight, but in a pan or in the casing same thing maybe?

 

When we do ours we mix the cure and stuff right away and then let sit for a while to bloom.  As long as it's wll mixed, it shouldn't matter if it's in the casing or not it will cure, however as the meat soaked in all the moisture and was fairly stiff, I'd add liquid (in this case beer) before I stuffed it.  I wrecked a stuffer over thanksgiving that way. 
 


 

 



 

 

post #15 of 15

Your sausage looks wonderful.  My only tip would be to make more!  Seems like you used a lot of wood and energy for a few pounds of sausage.  The set up you have could do about 30 lbs at a time. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Sausage From Rytek Kutas Book