Well here is what I do when looking for a place to buy my meat;
1. Talk to people I know/ ask around where people are getting there meat.
2. I will stand out in the parking lot and talk to customers, to get there take on the place.
3. I will observe how the people in the shop treat customers.
4. I will check health department records, (they are public record here)
5. I will buy a small amount of several meats, I will recheck weights and quality of the meat
6. Talk with owner/manager
Don't rule out a place just because they are not a full butcher shop. I have 2 places I buy 90% of my meat from; 1 is a full butcher shop and other is a cutter. The cutter is my first choice he has cheaper prices for comparable meat and gives me a discount since I travel 15 miles to buy from him. the other 10% of my meat comes from the grocery store or another cutter here in town.
I have 1 other place I buy meat from, if you can find a place like this by all means check them out. This place buys all the meat it sells from the local sale barn. I would buy more from him if he was closer.