Hi all, I am new to smoking and want to give it a try. I made some snack sticks that turned OK but I am sure they could be much better. I have been reading alot here and have learned some things. I have a couple questions I hope you will help me with.
1. I have read here the smoke coming out of the smoker should be kinda blue. My smoke is way more white is this a problem?
2. Been reading alot about making beef sticks and smoking temps. I have read to start out around 120deg. and raise it about every hour till meat temp is 160deg. is this correct?
3. I made a batch of snack sticks using 70/30 beef and the sticks were a little greasy tasting should I have used 80/20? Or what do you recomend? Should they have been in the smoker longer?
4. My sticks were kinda soft but the inside temp was 160. I put water in the smoker the whole time the sticks were smoking. To much mosture? I didn't cool them after taking them out of the smoker, Just left them cool to room temp.
5. When do I put water in the pan to make steam? At the beginning, middle or end of cooking?
Thanks for the help.