Hi all, my name is Herm. I am in Middletown, pa and am new to smoking. I have been reading alot here and have learned some things, still a long way to go. I have a couple questions for you pros.
1. I have read here the smoke coming out of the smoker should be kinda blue. My smoke is way more white is this a problem?
2. Been reading alot about making beef sticks and smoking temps. I have read to start out around 120deg. and raise it about every hour till meat temp is 160deg. is this correct?
3. I a batch of snack sticks using 70/30 beef and the sticks were a little greasy tasting should I have used 80/20? Or what do you recomend?
4. My sticks were kinda soft but the inside temp was 160 did I use to much water in the smoker?
5. When do I put water in the pan to make steam? At the beginning, middle or end of cooking?
Thanks for the help Herm