or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Bucket list item....check! Whole hog cook. With Bear view!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bucket list item....check! Whole hog cook. With Bear view!

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

A friend of mine is raising some pigs and the runts time was limited...

 

New years eve 6:00am we arrived at his house and started the fire.  The piglet weighed about 70#.  so we oiled the skin and threw it in one side of the beast and started drinking coffee.

 

2011-12-31_07-06-13_706.jpg

 

2 hours in....

 

2011-12-31_09-18-11_631.jpg

 

 

2011-12-31_13-47-32_933.jpg

 

My new smoking buddy.  Ixxie! He is a beast too!

 

 

2011-12-31_09-19-07_118.jpg

 

 

about 10 hours in.

 

2011-12-31_18-01-12_940.jpg

 

2011-12-31_18-13-06_266.jpg

 

My friend Zack on the left my son TJ in the middle (what a trooper) and me on the right side. By the time TJ was done pulling meat off the bones there

wasn't  much meat to cook down into stock, but Zacks wife will take care of that!

 

This one was smoked on alder for 13 hrs. The legs could have used more time but it was good over all.  We heard no complaints from the 20 or so people that came by to ring in the new year.

 

 

Thanks for stopping by.

 

 

 

 

post #2 of 18

Looks like it was a fun day. Looking mighty tasty too . 

post #3 of 18

Heck yeah man ....Thats good.

post #4 of 18

Looks-Great.gifdrool.gif

post #5 of 18

I wish I would of had an invite to that party! Awesome job on the whole pig, Rick! icon14.gif

Your little smoking buddy is a cutey.

post #6 of 18

looks great  Mo............................icon14.gif

 

Joe

post #7 of 18

Looks-Great.gif

post #8 of 18

great job i think any man out there has the whole pig on their bucket lis

post #9 of 18

t glad to see you got yours

 

post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarbelly View Post

Looks like it was a fun day. Looking mighty tasty too . 


It was a great day Gary Thanks!. I did however miss New Years. I was in bed by 11:00. Wiped out tired.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoity Toit View Post

Heck yeah man ....Thats good.


Thanks!

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoneyboy View Post

Looks-Great.gifdrool.gif


 

Thank you Sir!


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Walker View Post

I wish I would of had an invite to that party! Awesome job on the whole pig, Rick! icon14.gif

Your little smoking buddy is a cutey.



This was his first smoke.  I think we will enjoy a few more, he still has ribs to chew on.



Quote:
Originally Posted by boykjo View Post

looks great  Mo............................icon14.gif

 

Joe

 Thanks Joe!
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by michael ark View Post

Looks-Great.gif



Turned out better than I thought it would.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde79 View Post

great job i think any man out there has the whole pig on their bucket lis


Thanks Clyde!

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde79 View Post

t glad to see you got yours

 



 

post #11 of 18

cool great jobLooks-Great.gif

 

If I had a smoker big enough to do a whole pig Id do it, so it's not on my bucket list yet.

post #12 of 18

That is AWESOME Smokey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is pretty much all I can say!!

post #13 of 18

Any pics of the pulled/cut up product?

post #14 of 18

icon_cool.gif

Man oh Man that is off the chain good looking. I wish I could have been one of thoe 20 that got to pick on that thing.

post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprky View Post

cool great jobLooks-Great.gif

 

If I had a smoker big enough to do a whole pig Id do it, so it's not on my bucket list yet.


took about two years to build the beast but it worked well. Thanks.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by rbranstner View Post

That is AWESOME Smokey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is pretty much all I can say!!


Thanks.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by rbranstner View Post

Any pics of the pulled/cut up product?



Sorry no. I didnt get any. it went fast.  had great color and flavor.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mballi3011 View Post

icon_cool.gif

Man oh Man that is off the chain good looking. I wish I could have been one of thoe 20 that got to pick on that thing.


Thanks. It was a lot of fun.

 

 

post #16 of 18

Great looking hog! The color is awesome! 

 

That's something I will have to try in the future!

 

You have a fine looking Son too! Congrats!

post #17 of 18
Nice job Mo!!!! I did one about 1/3 that size on my UDS. Yours looks like it came out just fine!!

Question for ya... I noticed the ribs were sorta folded under.... Did that help them NOT come out crispy?? Mine was flat out and the ribs were like Rib Chips......
post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAl View Post

Great looking hog! The color is awesome! 

 

That's something I will have to try in the future!

 

You have a fine looking Son too! Congrats!

Thanks Al, I have an older one also.  I am very blessed to have two great boys.  Then I have a daughter younger than them both. she is also a very good kid.  

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by byounghusband View Post

Nice job Mo!!!! I did one about 1/3 that size on my UDS. Yours looks like it came out just fine!!
Question for ya... I noticed the ribs were sorta folded under.... Did that help them NOT come out crispy?? Mine was flat out and the ribs were like Rib Chips......


No, they were crispy.  When it was butchered it was too hard to get all the hair off so we didn't plan on eating it anyway.  It was VERY crispy but when we started removing the the meat the skin pulled right off and we just scooped the meat out.  It was stripped clean when we were done, NOTHING left on the bone.  Thanks for the kudos.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Bucket list item....check! Whole hog cook. With Bear view!