It's been awhile since I've done a yard bird and since I just got a Brinkmann SnG seasoned I figured it was a good time to do one. The Brinkmann actually runs a much more consistent temp than my horizontal sfb which I am very pleased with. And I only had to do one mod(3 bolts in the fire pan and a small grill grate to raise the coals a bit) So here's how I got started.
Picked up a 7lb bird at Meijer.
The bird went into the brine on Tuesday night. I used the Slaughter House brine found on SMF. I brought 4 cups of water and all ingredients to a boil to melt all salts and sugars. Then added 1 gallon of ice water.
Now here is where my plans got changed. I was going to throw the bird on Wednesday night. But, my wife and I ended going to our daughter's basketball game to watch her cheer and then got invited to my sister in laws house. So, needless to say we didn't get home till 10:30 Wednesday night so smoking a bird that late didn't sound so fun. So plans got put on hold and the bird swam for a little longer than planned. That made me nervous but after doing some research on here I found it was fine to let it soak a day longer. All in all the bird soaked for almost 48 hours before hitting the smoker.
For fuel I used 5 chunks of applewood mixed in with approx 8 lbs of Kingsford Hickory charcoal. I used a large baked bean can with top and bottom removed placed in the middle of the charcoal pan and placed 20 briquettes in the can once they were fully ashed over.
Thursday night after getting home from Thanksgiving at my brother's house I fired up the chimney at 5:45pm and got the bird rinsed. While the coals were getting hot I made a mixture of 1/4 cup butter 1 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp cajun seasoning and rubbed that under the skin. Then did a light coat of cajun seasoning on the outside of the bird.
At 6:00pm coals were hot and were put in the bean can. I then removed the bean can and added the water pan with 1 onion halved and 2 tbs of garlic powder. Let smoker get to temp. The bird went on at 6:30 pm when SnG temp had reached 230*. Temps did spike after around an hour to 275* but then settled back in to 250*. I only added approx. 10 briquettes after 3 hours but other than that it burned steady once settled for 5 hours. I also added 1 gallon of water to the water pan at 2 hours and 4 hours.
Here is the bird probed at 4 hours in. Internal temp was at 155*
I pulled the bird at 5 hours when internal temp had reached 170*. Then wrapped in foil and put in the fridge for Friday nights dinner. I apologize but I did not get any pics of it sliced and plated. I can however say that it was a very tasty dinner.
Well thanks for stopping by and having a gander! I hope all of you had a Happy Thanksgiving!