or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Fish › Cold Smoked Salmon!! Q-view of course
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cold Smoked Salmon!! Q-view of course - Page 2

post #21 of 39

Brat

You said you had trouble getting the pellets started. If you get a Electric heat gun it will start the pellets better and faster than anything out there. I have a wagner i picked up used for a couple of bucks. Even new they are cheap. If you give it a try it will spoil you.

Karl

post #22 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExhaustedSpark View Post

Brat

You said you had trouble getting the pellets started. If you get a Electric heat gun it will start the pellets better and faster than anything out there. I have a wagner i picked up used for a couple of bucks. Even new they are cheap. If you give it a try it will spoil you.

Karl



Am definitely going to look in to it am going to see if i can if one at a yard sale or something along those lines.

post #23 of 39

Harbor frt has them for around 14 to 15 bucks.

Good luck and happy smoken.

Karl

post #24 of 39

Very nice !

post #25 of 39

 Looks Great

I would try this but a friend / EX Friend out never came through for me lol

post #26 of 39

Dayum

 

 

That looks very good.

post #27 of 39

Great job on all of it!

post #28 of 39
Thread Starter 

thanx everyone for all the cool replies!!! i am going to cold smoke and dry cure chorizo next. drool.gif

post #29 of 39

I am new cold smoking fish. First of all your fish looks great. My question is that you don't have to use a cure (sodium nitrite) in your dry cure.

post #30 of 39

Hi out there, new to the website. Looks like alot of great information from people in the know. My first question is; What is a AMNPS? 

post #31 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstyn View Post

I am new cold smoking fish. First of all your fish looks great. My question is that you don't have to use a cure (sodium nitrite) in your dry cure.

 

     I add some to my recipe!! but from what i hear its not really need in cold smoking fish. But i added it just for piece of mind!
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadoka View Post

Hi out there, new to the website. Looks like alot of great information from people in the know. My first question is; What is a AMNPS? 




Welcome aboard!! And a AMNPS is a cold smoking unit that you can use in combo with your current smoker or on its own. Its really a amazing little smoking unit. Here is a link to Todd's website so you can check it out!!!

 

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

 

there is a lot of good reviews on this website also. if you want to start cold smoking this is the way to go!!!!

post #32 of 39



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstyn View Post

I am new cold smoking fish. First of all your fish looks great. My question is that you don't have to use a cure (sodium nitrite) in your dry cure.



 Your post comes out like a statement instead of a question. I try my best to always now cure if i am going to smoke with low temps.

I have smoked fish for years using only salt and brown suger and recently started using the cure in a brine because gov rules say always to use cure. I did not notice any difference in flavor and or texture so why not take the extra step for safty sake and use the cure.

If i dont use the brine then i use TQ for the dry rub.

Good luck and stay safe and enjoy

Karl

 

post #33 of 39

great job, thank U for cure, very helpfull.......i'd drive to wherever to try someLooks-Great.gif

 

post #34 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKULLY View Post

great job, thank U for cure, very helpfull.......i'd drive to wherever to try someLooks-Great.gif

 

Anytime, Am glad i can be helpful!!
 

 

post #35 of 39

I really can't wait to do some cold smoked salmon since it has been years since I had some good lox. My only question is, does salmon not need to be cooked to any particular IT to be considered safe?

post #36 of 39

Not if it is cold smoked no. Go to  http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/ for some great info on cold smoking salmon.

Karl

post #37 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elohel View Post

I really can't wait to do some cold smoked salmon since it has been years since I had some good lox. My only question is, does salmon not need to be cooked to any particular IT to be considered safe?


That is why you salt cure it first. then you cold smoke it for a long period of time. by doing both of those things you are removing moister that cause bacteria that can cause your salmon to spoil.

 

post #38 of 39

Wow that looks great! The old Swamp Yankee who first taught me about smoking told me that for fish you wanted the heat to feel like a warm summer day. I look forward to trying your approach

 

post #39 of 39

Salmon looks good, we are smoking Michigan Steelhead today hope it turns out like yours!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Fish
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Fish › Cold Smoked Salmon!! Q-view of course