or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Turkey thaw question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Turkey thaw question

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I've got a 15 lb bird. I've read the USDA stuff and many threads on here about thawing the turkey, so I have an idea on how to go about it.

 

My question is, can I brine it and thaw it at the same time in the brine solution? Anyone doen this?

post #2 of 10

Sure...You can thaw in Brine, it will slow the thaw down a bit but as long as you are under Refrigeration there are no Safety issues...JJ

post #3 of 10

I agree I don't see the concern as long as the bird stays cold. I thaw mine in water and throw it in the fridge or let it sit out in my garage which is cold until I am going to cook it. Now that I am doing multiple birds I thaw them in the cooler full of water and then put them out in my garage to sit until I am ready to brine/smoke them. If my garage is near 40 degrees then I will put them on ice but normally its below freezing and I am just trying to keep them from freezing again.

post #4 of 10

The brine just won't penetrate as well until the bird completely thaws out. Other than that it should be fine.

post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post

Sure...You can thaw in Brine, it will slow the thaw down a bit but as long as you are under Refrigeration there are no Safety issues...JJ


           yeahthat.gif        

        goodluck.gif

 

post #6 of 10

I never worried about thawing a turkey before - just did it.

Saturday I purchased a fresh 12 bird and put it in the fridge. Started worrying today when reading the forum and

the 40-140 / 4 hour rule.

 

Check the fridge temp and its running around 47 degrees.

Is my bird BAD?

 

Thanks

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by covewi View Post

I never worried about thawing a turkey before - just did it.

Saturday I purchased a fresh 12 bird and put it in the fridge. Started worrying today when reading the forum and

the 40-140 / 4 hour rule.

 

Check the fridge temp and its running around 47 degrees.

Is my bird BAD?

 

Thanks


Exact same THING happened here....NEW BIRD ON THE WAY....Not worth the Risk!....JJ
 

 

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post


Exact same THING happened here....NEW BIRD ON THE WAY....Not worth the Risk!....JJ
 

 



At least it wasn't a 9lb hunk of prime rib!

post #9 of 10

Maybe the Food Network Live show actually listened to all of you.  Ann Burrell stated that it is perfectly fine to thaw out a frozen bird in brine,, just keep in fridge for 3 days or so :)

post #10 of 10

ohh, wait,, my fridge is running around 43 to 44 and I have turkey sitting in it, after brining and rubbing with butter,, do I need to worry ?  I was planning on putting in smoker tomorrow.

 

Edit,, I had cranked down the fridge temp before I went back to work,, it is now 38.7.  Hopefully where it is under 40f,, I will be okay till tomorrow afternoon.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Poultry
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Turkey thaw question