After reading up here on some Moink Ball threads I got a hanker for them. I decided to give it my best shot by making the meatballs from scratch. Having never made a meatball before let alone a Moink ball, I read up on meatballs and mixed up a concoction using a combination of recipes. Its on the smoker now but here is what I have and what I did make them. More Qview and even a Bear view to follow (when they're done).
What I did:
· 1 ½ pound ground beef
· ½ pound ground pork
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· 2 eggs
· 1 cup freshly grated Romano, Asiago, Parmesan cheese. Its what we had in the fridge and used as a substitute for stright Romono cheese.
· 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
· salt and ground black pepper to taste
· 2 cups Italian bread crumbs
· 1 cup lukewarm water
· ¼ cubed pepper jack cheese
· Package of bacon cut in half
· BBQ sauce (optional)
· Combine beef and pork in a large bowl. Add garlic, eggs, grated cheese, parsley, salt and pepper.
· Blend bread crumbs into meat mixture.
· Slowly add the water 1/4 cup at a time. The mixture should be very moist but still hold its shape if rolled into meatballs.
· Refrigerate meat mixture. The longer the better.
· Shape into meat balls about the size of a golf ball.
· With your thumb make a small hole into the ball and place the pepper jack cheese inside and carefully re-shape so the cheese is in the middle.
· Wrap each ball in ½ strip bacon and secure with toothpick. You may optionally add BBQ sauce at this point. I did on about half of them.
· Place balls in foil lined tray in smoker 230 F for about 3 hours or until bacon is crispy and enjoy.
Edited by slief - 11/19/11 at 7:48pm