or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › 1st smoked turkey ? drip pan question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

1st smoked turkey ? drip pan question

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Hi Folks,

I have a digital bradley smoker and am new to the smoking.

I am going to smoke a bird for Thanksgiving.

Do I need to use a drip pan to catch the drippings ? sure would hate to make a mess.

post #2 of 14

You sure do! What will you make gravy with if you don't???

post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyhad View Post

You sure do! What will you make gravy with if you don't???



X2

 

post #4 of 14

Be sure to line your drip pan with foil too. Makes the cleanup a lot easier.biggrin.gif

post #5 of 14

you can also just sit a foil pan on an empty rack below the bird so you aren't using your smokers water pan plus you can toss when you're done.

640x480px-LL-7da9a78d_IMGP3245.jpg

post #6 of 14

I always use drip pans.  Usually the disposable type.  Keeps from making a mess.

 

With a new drip pan, some veges like onions or shallots, green peppers, maybe a carrot or two and liquid like a little broth in the bottom.  Catch those drippings?  Now you are on your way to some good eating.

 

Good luck and good smoking.

post #7 of 14

good idea on this disposable one...

post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyhad View Post

You sure do! What will you make gravy with if you don't???



X3

post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture View Post

I always use drip pans.  Usually the disposable type.  Keeps from making a mess.

 

With a new drip pan, some veges like onions or shallots, green peppers, maybe a carrot or two and liquid like a little broth in the bottom.  Catch those drippings?  Now you are on your way to some good eating.

 

Good luck and good smoking.



Yes Yes Yes

post #10 of 14
 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture View Post

I always use drip pans.  Usually the disposable type.  Keeps from making a mess.

 

With a new drip pan, some veges like onions or shallots, green peppers, maybe a carrot or two and liquid like a little broth in the bottom.  Catch those drippings?  Now you are on your way to some good eating.

 

Good luck and good smoking.



X2

 

post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all the replies.

post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 

Do you need to pull the plastic thing off that holds the legs together ?

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorbass View Post

Do you need to pull the plastic thing off that holds the legs together ?



   I do, you can make a slit in the tail skin and stuff the legs in to hold them.

post #14 of 14

Some people like to discard the vegetables but i prefer to either toss them in a blender and add them back to the drippings for my gravy or push them through a mesh siv. Adds some more flavor and texture.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Poultry
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › 1st smoked turkey ? drip pan question