I have used encapsulated citric acid in my summer sausage before but in the end I wasn't totally happy with the results. It tasted okay and was easy to use but I was looking for a more authentic profile in my summer sausage.
I am thinking of using the Bactoferm LHP culture. My process for this summer sausage will probably look like this:
- Grind my ratio of meat
- mix in spices, cure, and dextrose
- start and add starter culture to mixture
- stuff into casings and hang them in smoker
- Set smoker to 90F and hold......
- Raise temp and smoke until internal reaches 160F then finish
The question I have is how long to hold at the 90F? I don't have a PH meter. Is there a rule of thumb with the LHP culture? Any other tips?