or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Community › Food Safety › Vacuume Bags Reuse or Throw Away?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vacuume Bags Reuse or Throw Away? - Page 2

post #21 of 35

I err on the side of caution and don't reuse. Would rather not risk it.

post #22 of 35

I reuse when the bags are used for non messy cooked foods or dry items.

Usually toss when used for raw meats and saucy items.

 

 

these were tossed

 

20111022004.JPG

 

20111022005.JPG

 

20111022007.JPG

post #23 of 35

I am really picky about cleanliness. I would never reuse mine. 

post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by custom99 View Post

I am really picky about cleanliness. I would never reuse mine. 



Soooo..I guess you don't have any Tupperware sort of storage containers???

 

I have a harder time keeping those grooves on the lids clean than the inside of the vac bags...

 

 

   Craig

 

post #25 of 35

 We hardly ever use any containers like that for anything. We buy Ziplock storage and freezer bags by the case. Just about everything we do goes into either Foodsaver bags or Ziplocks. It's amazing how much more room you have for items in the frig when using the bags. My family does a lot of large amounts of food for parties and events so its really nice to not have to clean containers.

post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by custom99 View Post

 We hardly ever use any containers like that for anything. We buy Ziplock storage and freezer bags by the case. Just about everything we do goes into either Foodsaver bags or Ziplocks. It's amazing how much more room you have for items in the frig when using the bags. My family does a lot of large amounts of food for parties and events so its really nice to not have to clean containers.



My hats off to ya!!

 

Have a great day!!

 

  Craig

post #27 of 35

Actually, I still use a good quality plastic wrap (Stretch Tite) and ziplocks for some things that won't be in the freezer for extended times.  The cost is just less.

 

When I go to the trouble to make a great sausage, smoked cheese, BBB, or Canadian bacon, they go in the Food Saver bags.

 

Good luck and good smoking.

post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpnmf View Post



I got the premium bags from this place and they were less expensive and work much better..


http://www.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/

 

I think a bunch of folks here got them and are happy with them.

 

  Craig

 

 




I have tried to go to that site a couple times. Nothing comes up.

post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post




I have tried to go to that site a couple times. Nothing comes up.



Flash, I just tried the link and it is working.

post #30 of 35

Works for me.

 

Call 661-332-5631.  Lisa, the owner, posted here a while back and offered SMF members a 10% discount.

 

I am considering my order now.

 

Good luck and good smoking.

post #31 of 35

I throw my bags out.

 

When I order more it will be from this site  http://www.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/

 

               Thanks for the link neighbor icon14.gif

post #32 of 35

I am with Eman on this one.  I will reuse them as long as I have not heated food in one.  Also I leave excess when I freeze in bulk to take product out and reseal. 

post #33 of 35

Holy cow!  You sure are right about that, I went and ordered enough stuff to keep my Foodsaver supplied for a year for a hundred bucks!  Waaaay cheaper than buying from Foodsaver!  Thank you so much!

post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterRick View Post

I am with Eman on this one.  I will reuse them as long as I have not heated food in one.  Also I leave excess when I freeze in bulk to take product out and reseal. 



I am in this group too. No heat sterilize and reuse over and over. All of the bags end up in the freezer with food in them so I am not at all worried about any sanitation issues. I learned how to clean in the restaurant industry. 

post #35 of 35

This thread has a lot of proponents on both sides...Thought I would kick in, for what it's worth...As Craig has said, we wash and re-use many types of Storage containers, I got a cabinet full of Qt and Pt Chinese Soup Containers. Proper Hot, Soapy water washing will clean them and Sanitize (reduce Bacteria to a safe level) the bags...To Sterilize (Kill 'em ALL) a rinse in a mix of 1-2Tbs Bleach to 1 Gallon Water and Air drying or 30 Seconds in the Microwave will do the Job nicely...I don't re-use bags I heat food in, I don't know if repeated heating effects the Plastic and would not want to find 10, one pound bags of PP freezer burned 'cause the bags broke open...JJ

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food Safety
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Community › Food Safety › Vacuume Bags Reuse or Throw Away?