or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Going to smoke some wings, legs, and thighs, should I brine?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Going to smoke some wings, legs, and thighs, should I brine?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

should I marinade?  I did 3 pounds of wings a few weeks ago, and just seasoned them with spicy rub from Gates BBQ.  They were great, but just curious what you all think.  Brine, no brine? 

post #2 of 13

If you haven't tried a brine on poultry, then why not give it a try. This way you can decide if it's worth the extra effort or not. Personally, I think it is.

post #3 of 13
I am with Al on this one. If you have the space and the time, try it and see if you like it. I would recommend doing half and half. That way you can do a side by side comparison. Also, if it turns out that you don't like it, you aren't stuck with a bunch of brined chicken you don't like. I personally wouldnt brine wings since they are so small, but that is just MHO. Experimentation is the mother of some tasty eats!
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 

I have brined for fried chicken before (and baked potatoes) but not for smoking.  So, what should I do for the brine?  what is a good ratio?

post #5 of 13

You mentioned both brining and marinating, so I will assume you are concerned with the brine question and not the marinade.

 

I have brined whole birds and found it helpful both in moistness and flavor.  I have never brined parts as many people think they do not get the full benefit of brining a whole bird. You do want to be sure your chicken is not already "enhanced" before brining.  Try it and let us know what you think?

 

Also, you might find this of interest:

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/tips-slaughterhouse-recipes-for-poultry

 

Good luck and good smoking.

 

 

post #6 of 13

Try this one, a lot of guys here use it.

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/tips-slaughterhouse-recipes-for-poultry

 

 

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 

Al, thank you, again! Learn new stuff all the time. 

post #8 of 13

I brine all poulrty nowadays..It makes it much tastier!!

 

I use Tips brine recipe.

 

  Craig

post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 

so i am going to use the recipe for brine listed above (minus the celery powder).  Do I do it in a big bucket?  Do I refrigerate it?  I bought about 2 pounds of thighs and 2 pounds of drumsticks.  Just curious on what to do.  Thanks again.

post #10 of 13

I prefer brined yardbirds whole or parts.

JC1947

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAl View Post

If you haven't tried a brine on poultry, then why not give it a try. This way you can decide if it's worth the extra effort or not. Personally, I think it is.



 And I didn't, so yes you should try.

post #12 of 13

Hey Chorizo - I definitely recommend Tip's Slaughter House brine.  Been using it for quite a while and it makes a BIG difference.

RE: What to use, I use a plain Jane, none scented, white trash bag.  Get the air out and put it in a smaller cooler covered with ice.  If the trash bag bothers ya, then use gallon zip locks.  Much easier to work with and a bag will ensure all of your parts are fully submerged.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorizodahitman View Post

so i am going to use the recipe for brine listed above (minus the celery powder).  Do I do it in a big bucket?  Do I refrigerate it?  I bought about 2 pounds of thighs and 2 pounds of drumsticks.  Just curious on what to do.  Thanks again.



 

 

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALLE View Post

Hey Chorizo - I definitely recommend Tip's Slaughter House brine.  Been using it for quite a while and it makes a BIG difference.

RE: What to use, I use a plain Jane, none scented, white trash bag.  Get the air out and put it in a smaller cooler covered with ice.  If the trash bag bothers ya, then use gallon zip locks.  Much easier to work with and a bag will ensure all of your parts are fully submerged.

 

 

 

 



Very cool.  I think I will make the brine Friday afternoon and will put the chicken in around midnight, then put the chicken on around 5 a.m.  Or is that too long to brine?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Poultry
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Going to smoke some wings, legs, and thighs, should I brine?