I wanted to share this recipe since thanksgiving is so close.
This is the best stuffing I have ever had that was not in the bird.
I got this recipe about 5 years ago off the internet, can't remember where.
I made this when camping at Killens Pond 3 years ago.
My mom actually asked me for THIS recipe, I was flattered, it was good but she went heavy on the poultry seasoning so follow the recipe as is first time around, just watch the salt.
Don't know why the recipe has poultry seasoning in addition to the three spices that make up poultry seasoning'
Here's the camping trip, Mods hope this is allowed
not my picture
COOK TIME: 8 Hrs 55 Min
PREP TIME: 25 Min
READY IN: 9 Hrs 20 Min
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 12 cups dry bread cubes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (premix)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt Watch salt, this depends on your broth that is used last time it was too salty
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth, or as needed (start with 2 cups)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, and parsley in butter, stirring frequently.
- Spoon cooked vegetables over bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl. Season with poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, marjoram, and salt and pepper. Pour in enough broth to moisten, and mix in eggs. Transfer mixture to slow cooker, and cover.
- Cook on High for 45 minutes, then reduce heat to Low, and cook for 4 to 8 hours.