I decided to start with a whole boneless pork shoulder from Costco that weighed around 7 lbs. I butterflied it as shown in the wiki.
I used Pops brine recipe but doubled the recipe due to me not knowing if 1 would cover all the pork (one would have sufficed and I'll stick with one in the future). I substituted the sugar in the recipe for Maple Syrup however due to me wanting maple bacon (and people around me tend to like it a bit more). Also I only used 2/3 cup of salt for the whole batch.
Today I have pulled out the pork and did a fry test (not quite salty enough for me actually). I then cut each butterflied section of pork in half again so I can smoke the bacon 4 different ways to try and nail down a flavor profile I want. I am trying maple smoke, apple smoke, cherry smoke and oak smoke.
I will update as soon as my whole process is down and let you know what I decide on the final method or next testing batch is going to look like.
Also question about the curing liquid. I'm assuming I am to just pitch it afterword but if its okay to use again I'd like to know since throwing it out would be wasteful.