hey, that's me! funny thing is i just sliced up 2 butts of BBB i smoked yesterday with a loin for CB. as for your questions:
1. the cut of meat used is pork butt? boneless then you got to butterflie it?
2.Cure if the same way you would for back bacon? 1tbsp of morton cure + 1tbsp of brown sugar per lbs of meat?
3.Let it cure for 1/2" of meat per day + 2 days minimum?
4.soak it in ice cold water for 30min or so...test fry.
5.what temperature should i smoke it at?
6.water pan or no water pan?
7. at what internal temperature should i remove it.
8. anything else i'm forgetting?
1. yes, you don't have to butterfly it but i always do for shorter cure time and final presentation.....it looks closer to belly.
2. yup, i use cure #1 and my spices but if you are comfortable with TQ then "git on it"!
3. if that's your formula......i do mine for 7 days
4. i would soak it and fry test..........i have developed my own formula so i don't need to soak and test.
5. i smoke mine with no heat....i cold smoke for around 10 hrs, vacu-seal it and put it in the fridge overnight before i slice it. i will say that around 125 IT temp the fat will start to render.
6. don't need one if ya cold smoke........yes if ya don't
7. 140 if you are going to eat it cold and not fry it......i fry mine since i cold smoke
8. if you are going to cold smoke then you need to look at todd's amazing smoker.......it's a must have!
todd....i used the pellet yesterday for the first time and it puts out some ice smoke....thx!