I made an intro in the Roll Call board, so you can check that out if you are curious about me and how I came across the MES 40. Anyway...
After seasoning the smoker a couple of days ago, today was going to be the big day of smoking my first brisket. I did lots and lots of forum and Internet trolling and printed out a bunch of rub recipes and smoker how-tos.
The more I read, the more I realized there are many different preferences - there are those that dry smoke, wet smoke, water in the pan, dry pan, turn the brisket, keep it fat side down fat side up, foil it, don't foil it, marinate vs. dry rub, put it in the smoker cold, put it in the smoker room temperature, etc, etc, etc, phew!
After several hours of cooking (details below) and letting the brisket rest for an hour in the foil, I sliced off a few pieces. It was easy to cut which surprised me, I thought it would be significantly more tender, almost like pulled pork. It wasn't real moist, but tasted pretty good. Had a good smokey taste and the rub added a little interest to the taste. I want pulled and moist brisket though!!
Let me go over my process and maybe y'all can make some comments:
- Start with a well marbled, store trimmed (which I think was a mistake) 5+ pound brisket
- Did a rub on the non-fat side
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, place in fridge overnight
- 6am - take brisket out of fridge, start MES, set temp to 210*
- 7am - cut brisket in two and place on two upper racks in MES. Temp probe in lower half
- 9am - start apple juice brushing, do this every 90 minutes or so
- 9am - first of four tray loads of mesquite chips
- 11am - thought I should bump up the temp a little - set to 215*
- 12noon - bumped it up to 220*
(I noticed the temperature plateau everybody talks about - the brisket got to 151* and stayed there for a couple of hours)
- 2pm-ish I noticed we are climbing out of the temp plateau and I think the internal temp is about 170 and I foiled the briskets
- 3:30pm - meat temp is about 190* - I leave on a little longer
- 4pm - meat temp is about 195*, take the briskets off, leave in foil
- 5pm - slice up one of the halves
- 5:40pm - yum - eat some brisket
Weber Q, MES 40